Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 09-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Default SS2 vs H/LSPFAP

I just got done rereading both of these. For the money, SS2 seems like the much better deal. Todd covers many more concepts, has a better starting hand analysis, and covers broad cocepts. Zee wastes a lot of space in the book, and spends more time on very specific concepts.

For the noobs, I think SS2 is a much better value.

Flame away.

BTW, I only play .5/1 - I am sure Zee's book will pay itself off as I move up.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: SS2 vs H/LSPFAP

Read Zee's book first for O8 a long time back, reread it for stud, then read brunsons section.

I had a similar reaction to it, it was just easier for me to understand, very digestable.

Thing is about Zee's book (also incredibly true for TOP and others) is that I think someone may have to grow into in a way. I reread the S8 section in Zee's book for the third time today, and I got so much more out of it than the previous reads. I don't think this just has to do with pounding the information in for the third time, I think it has to do with the fact that even after 6k hands, things you merely read before you can now fully digest and better understand, and I still feel like I'm not even close to getting all of it.

I like SS2 but do feel some of the sections lack deeper discussion and thought in some areas,this seems to be true in most Cardoza publications I've read. I'm still impressed by the original SS, even if it's dated by now.

I don't think I took the label "For Advanced Players" seriously enough.

Either way, I think both are worth owning for any S8 player. JMO, a newb myself.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I took the label "For Advanced Players" seriously enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people don't take the label serious enough. There is a reason why every time I feel like my game has developed I go back and read 7CSFAP or its HE counter-part and feel like I get something new. The first time I read a 2+2 book, it minds well have been written in another language, but as I played and got better (still not an advanced player) the concepts make more and more sense.

To the OP I recommend you reread the Zee book and the Brunson chapter everytime you move up, let us know which one is more relavant when you are owning the 30/60 games [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 07:54 PM

I think this pretty much sums it up.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:20 PM

ss2 = perfect newbie book