Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Default 5/10 Live AA Hand

Live 5/10. 4 handed. Villain is a pretty good LAG. I'm being pretty crazy and the table knows.

Villain ($1500) limps on the button.

I ($1300) make it $35 (standard) w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] out of the SB. BB folds, button calls.

Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $70. Villain calls. Pot 220.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $150 (anyone like check better here?). Villain calls

River A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Pot 520

I bet $300. Villain moves in.

Weird hand. Little help.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Live AA Hand

I'll work backwards....

river:

when I'm in spots like this on the river, I like to make a big bet (pot or more as opposed to the 3/5-pot bet that you made) because it will often get paid off by a worse hand like two-pair (especially given your image), PLUS, now if you get raised - particularly by a decent player - you know you're behind.....problem with this line in this particular hand is that if you bet $500 on the river, you don't have much left behind if he puts you all-in so it'll be tough to fold getting such a good price.....which leads me to

the turn:
I think you definitely should've checked....a bet might've been okay if you were both deeper, but I think here a check gives you many more options (check/call to pick off a bluff or worse hand, check/raise semi-bluff, free card, etc.) and controls the pot better (given your stack depth)....
Old 09-19-2005, 08:46 PM

If villain raises to something like 500 on the turn, are you calling, moving in, folding? If he is LAG how can you possibly bet this river, has to be more profitable to induce a bluff more often, no?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:56 PM

Not sure. I think he checks behind with 2 pair on that board, but pays off my bet.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:03 PM

check/call turn, i likey much better... you have draw to the nuts and very likely best hand, you do not want to get blown off it just yet, if villain has like QJ or something he now only has 6 outs not 8 so don't worry about the draw as much... so yeah check/call turn and lead river... as coltrane mentioned stacks are shallow so it's tough but in general i like a bigger river bet so you know you are beat when he raises and you can fold.