Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Default KK is Stud8b

Thoughts welcome:

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.15 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 0: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings in
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street

Seat 0: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Old 08-27-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: KK is Stud8b

You probably have the best high hand so you may want to complete the bring-in here. Plus it might get rid of the 6 or 3 behind you still to act.

Betting 4th is good, especially since it looks like everyone bricked.

I think the raise on 5th is a bad idea with seat 5 coming alive all the sudden. And when your hand doesn't improve on 6th and you're bet into again with no low draw, I think you have to let your hand go. He's now showing an open-ended straight with all Queens and three sevens live. Even if you catch a miracle 8 you're probably still beat.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:59 PM

If you're going to play Kings, raise 3rd street.
Fold 5th. Your 6, 9 and K are not very live, are they?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 PM

That 4th street raise looks like a nice representation of 6-7-8 starting hand. Even with dead K, you are probably ahead and should (and did) force some out. The 7 on 5th though wasn't too scary betting in three way action. 6th screams his straight (of course), and you are drawing dead if he has it. I guess I'd fold 6th.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:21 PM

Very much a beginner in this game, so I could be very wrong...

I'm still debating on whether or not a raise on 3rd in this spot is worth it or not. I think it was Brunsons section in SS2 that recommended waiting til 4th when people brick to pop it up, which in .25 kind of makes sense to me. No one is going to fold for another 15 cents, so often in your position Ill wait to see if they catch bad on 4th. If a bunch of people fold to you though I kick it up.

I'd fold on 5th. Without a doubt the biggest money loser for me in this game was taking unimproved big pairs too far, and this looks like one of those spots.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:50 PM

I suck with big pairs. and that board was hideous.

The guy actually had TT in the hole and hit his set.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Yeesh, what site is this? This structure is absolutely hideous. Tough hand, I think.

I think the limp on third street is correct. You're not going to get much of anyone out by raising, and that is the most important reason to raise big pairs early in this game.

The bet on fourth against a bunch of ragged boards is good. I think fifth is a fold. There is nothing that makes sense for the guy with 922. There are a bunch of Nines out, so he wasn't rolled. With a decent pocket pair he should probably have raised third and definitely have bet fourth. I thought a three-flush with a Deuce was a decent possibility, except that two spades were gone, which would be OK in high-only but is very bad when you're playing for half the pot. Given how he's played the hand, I think two pair is fairly likely, so you don't even have the best high hand. Seat 5 is betting something. (TT)9 is death in this game, but I'm not terribly surprised to see someone play it at this level. I've seen plenty of people play it at $30/60 and $40/80.

Having called fifth, I think that sixth is a fold as well. With a second pair, I usually call down, but you are drawing to two pair. You almost have to be behind, and there is an excellent chance that you are drawing dead. Many of your needed cards are gone.

Having gotten to the end, you might as well pay it off.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:32 PM

This was UB, with 60% of the people seeing flops, I will take the crappy structure.

Thanks for all the advice, spot on analysis.