Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 08-22-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: An Open Challenge

[ QUOTE ]

I told you that you wouldn't understand. I thought it was just because of your ideology, but it might be because you cannot conceptually grasp what I am writing. Let me make it as simple as possible. In the end, I believe you would give up all of yours and others rights and let some higher authority make all your decisions for you. I believe you would make yourself a slave if you could.

Do you understand now?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't.

I can't 'enslave' myself. Obviously, to become a slave, there has to be a master. So whoever would try to enslave me (apparently the state, in this case) is who I need protecting from - not 'myself'.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I told you that you wouldn't understand. I thought it was just because of your ideology, but it might be because you cannot conceptually grasp what I am writing. Let me make it as simple as possible. In the end, I believe you would give up all of yours and others rights and let some higher authority make all your decisions for you. I believe you would make yourself a slave if you could.

Do you understand now?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't.

I can't 'enslave' myself. Obviously, to become a slave, there has to be a master. So whoever would try to enslave me (apparently the state, in this case) is who I need protecting from - not 'myself'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. You still don't get it.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing to get - you said something ("Thank God there are people to protect you from yourself") that you thought sounded philosophical or something, but was really just some empty words that have absolutely no meaning. I can't 'get' meaningless nonsense.

[ QUOTE ]
In the end, I believe you would give up all of yours

[/ QUOTE ]

Who am I giving up my rights to? That's what I need protection from. Not myself.

[ QUOTE ]
and others rights

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had the power to give up others' rights, then they would need protection from me. That wouldn't mean that I need protection from myself.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you would make yourself a slave if you could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would have me as a slave? Then that's what I need protection from, not myself.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing to get - you said something ("Thank God there are people to protect you from yourself") that you thought sounded philosophical or something, but was really just some empty words that have absolutely no meaning. I can't 'get' meaningless nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you don't have the intellectual capacity to understand does not make what I wrote meaningless nonsense.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the end, I believe you would give up all of yours

[/ QUOTE ]

Who am I giving up my rights to? That's what I need protection from. Not myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't. I'm not really suprised that you still don't understand. It is the fact that you would be willing to give up your rights that is the problem. You need protecting from yourself because you are willing to give up your rights to others. Can you not understand that very simple point.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and others rights

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had the power to give up others' rights, then they would need protection from me. That wouldn't mean that I need protection from myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is you and your ignorant ilk that DO have the power to give up your rights. All you have to do is vote them away.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe you would make yourself a slave if you could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would have me as a slave? Then that's what I need protection from, not myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

The government certainly would. You need protection from them, yes, but also from yourself for granting and allowing the government to grow stronger and controlling.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need protecting from yourself because you are willing to give up your rights to others

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'others' is who I need protection from.

[ QUOTE ]
It is you and your ignorant ilk that DO have the power to give up your rights. All you have to do is vote them away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then whatever I'm giving up my right to (be it a person, or the state) is what I need protection from.

[ QUOTE ]
The government certainly would. You need protection from them, yes, but also from yourself for granting and allowing the government to grow stronger and controlling.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I just need protection from the government here, and not from myself - since they're the entity trying to enslave me.

If you're trying to claim that I'm consenting to their enslavement, then, by definition, it's no longer enslavement, because I consented to it.

So, in other words, what you said ("Thank God there are people to protect you from yourself") is just meaningless nonsense.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need protecting from yourself because you are willing to give up your rights to others

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'others' is who I need protection from.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then whatever I'm giving up my right to (be it a person, or the state) is what I need protection from.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I just need protection from the government here, and not from myself - since they're the entity trying to enslave me.

If you're trying to claim that I'm consenting to their enslavement, then, by definition, it's no longer enslavement, because I consented to it.

So, in other words, what you said ("Thank God there are people to protect you from yourself") is just meaningless nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. You just are unable to grasp it apparently.. Either that, or you just want to argue. You aren't worth my time.