Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Wait until the turn to raise?

OK, here's a very similar hand from tonight, except I have position.
I decided not to 3 bet the flop, because I might be able to trap for 2BB on the flop. Does my position make enough of a difference to not push this all the way. I think MP3 would have slowed down a bit 3 bet.

My 1st cycle at the table, both SB & MP3 seem loose, but no solid reads.
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, CO calls.

River: (20.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 32.50 BB
Old 08-20-2005, 10:48 PM

Micro Commandment #1 - Thou shalt not slowplay sets
Old 08-20-2005, 11:36 PM

Looks like another case where you let a few SBs get away from you. MP might have hung in for a flop cap, bailed when it got hairy on the turn.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:51 PM

Welcome to the forum. You have everyone trapped on the flop, and unless SB 3-bets, waiting for the turn to raise will usually face everyone with 2 cold. Pop the flop. You slowplay to help people find a call when they would otherwise fold. You don't have to worry about this here (or in general most times), and SB or CO might cap.

I'm not sure whether capping the river is the right play, but I probably do it and I don't think it can be that bad if it's wrong, especially if SB calls.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:55 PM

The classic example includes when the turn could dramatically affect your equity, either way. You wouldn't expect the turn to decrease your equity here, so push hard on the flop.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish Ed Miller never would have put the section in SSHE about protecting your hand. This concept is misapplied way too much.

Anyway your flop raise does give the other callers insufficient odds to call with a gutshot. That's the least of our worries though. As far as I'm concerned I want those gutshots calling me, and I want them putting in as many bets as possible. You have a huge equity edge here, and the more bets everyone puts in the more money you make.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a very important section of the book, yes it gets misapplied a fair bit, but correctly applying concepts takes experience, no one just reads SSHE and is an expert the first day at the table
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gutshots are getting, what... 15:2 when you raise? They're probably ok with implied odds in this pot, but it's not a clearly profitable call. Let's assume they were getting correct odds. And that there's one out there. You still make money when they call correctly. Run through the math if you're not convinced (this is a serious suggestion, not a snarky "I'm right and you're wrong" sort of thing).

Don't take the nature of the responses the wrong way. People are trying to help you see that you're looking at this the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I sincerely appreciate all your guys' input. I'll be the first to admit I have too much to learn still about the game, and posting threads like this one go a long way in helping me notice the subtle difference between what is the correct play (raising at every opportunity?) and the incorrect (or not as-correct) play (slowplaying). Well, at least it was subtle to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Again, thanks to all for the advice.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 AM

you see how they went four bets happily on the flop with you? dont wait until the turn. he will probably even lead into you on the turn so you will get to raise again!