Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Final Table Bubble

Down to 11 on PS. IT had been a great tournament. 3+hours of play, and I was 100% for wins at showdown (think i got 4rd a few of those though).

Seat 1: beavis68 (80344 in chips)
Seat 4: rock99 (134838 in chips)
Seat 6: sange (96438 in chips)
Seat 7: model t (71041 in chips)
Seat 8: mininoni (65453 in chips)
Seat 9: hoponin (87088 in chips)
hoponin: posts small blind 4000
beavis68: posts big blind 8000

Dealt to beavis68 [6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

rock99: calls 8000 The only thing I know about Rock is that he has been playing a lot of pots aggressively.

Folds to me in the BB, so I call.

[8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

I bet, Rock raises, I 3-bet, he calls.

Turn is the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet and he just calls.

River is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I have just a little over 32k left. Actions, and comments?
Old 08-06-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Final Table Bubble

Without knowing anything more about this guy I'd bet out and be prepared to fold. Your stack is already hurting and losing an extra bet won't make that much difference at this point. You've still got at least another orbit or two to pick a better hand to make your stand or see if anyone else will bust out. If you don't come out firing you're showing weakness and giving the green light to the small flush or allowing two-pair/set to bluff.

A check-raise might also work (and it'd have a better chance of scaring off the nut straight), but if he's got the nuts you're busting out of the tournament and IMO it's not worth risking that (at this time) to try and squeeze an extra bet or two. Better to fire early, since the only hand likely to re-raise you is the nut flush, which will give you a chance to duck out and survive a little longer.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet, Rock raises, I 3-bet, he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beavis - I wonder if "Rock" has chosen that name as a deceptive ploy.

At any rate, I think you should simply call after Rock raises. Then I think you probably check and call the rest of the way. Playing that way doesn't win as much for you as playing more aggressively, but you're out of position and playing conservatively is a lot safer.

Rock shouldn't have a low draw hand after this flop, and should have something for high, possibly 9QXY, the same straight as you, or a set. But Rock could simply be trying to bully you out of the pot. (Although you cannot know it at the time, Rock evidently does not have 9QXY). At any rate, you're out of position and things don't look good - but I wouldn't let someone push me out of this pot. (Neither would I assume Rock is bluffing and bet into him/her).

Playing conservatively, assuming Rock has a higher straight than you on the river, you lose 56000 and end the hand with 24344. If you have to concede your small blind on the next hand, you'll still be alive. When you win, you'll only win between 28000 and 60000 but you should be happy to just survive here.

Buzz
Old 08-07-2005, 01:10 PM

I tried to say Hi to you. I busted out about 75th. Great job, and I tend to echo Buzz's advice.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Sorry I didn't see you. I think I had about 3 screens going.

Thanks for the advice all.

the reason I was so aggressvie is that we had just gotten into a battle in the blinds and I had folded to his raise. Plus, i wanted a big stack for the final table - I guess I over did it though. Aggression doesn't seem to pay as much in these games.

BTW, he had AKJT.