Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Default TPGK facing SS push, several players still to act behind

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

$30 + $3

SB (t1235)
BB (t1010)
UTG (t2220)
UTG+1 (t505)
MP1 (t1280)
MP2 (t645)
CO (t4460)
Hero (t2145)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t50, CO calls t50, Hero calls t50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t300) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t595 (All-In)</font>, CO folds, Hero...?

Villian has pushed several recent hands pre-flop.

Obviously, folding is not an option since I'm nearly positive I have the short stack beat, so would you just flat call, raise to 1200, or push...?

I believe raising enough to force out any flush draws and isolate against the short stack is the correct play, and since that's more than half my stack, I should just push.

Anybody think just calling and giving everybody left to act nearly 3-to-1 odds is an ok play? If you just called, could you fold this to a re-raise...?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: TPGK facing SS push, several players still to act behind

everybody left in the hand has under 1200 left, so a min-raise would them a-i or almost a-i. just push.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:22 AM

If you don't move w/this flop, what exactly were you hoping for?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Push.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't move w/this flop, what exactly were you hoping for?

[/ QUOTE ]

K,K,Q would be nice!

But seriously, there was no doubt that I was playing the hand, the question was call or push. I pushed and the small blind called all-in and showed a set of 9's. Good play, bad result.

It just got me to thinking about different ways to play similar situations.

In this case, had I just called with those two diamonds out there I could be giving somebody just about the correct odds to draw to the flush.

What if it was almost the same flop but say a rainbow board? Now does just flat calling have decent chance of getting heads-up with the short-stack at a minimum risk to my stack?

As schwza points out, everybody left in the hand has under 1,200 - so if I call and get reraised I'm going to have to make the call based on pot odds anyway. Might as well push.

But what if everybody left to act had big stacks? Do I raise enough to make draw to the flush incorrect based on odds - but allow myself the ability to get away from the hand if somebody acting behind me, seeing a push and a re-raise, shows great strength and comes right over the top?

Or assuming the rainbow board example from above, can I call here with big stacks yet to act and actually get away from somebody coming over the top?