Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-08-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Strange 10-20 hand

This hand has me scratching my head. Mostly loose-passive 10-20 game. Folded to me in MP and I open raise with As-Qc. Player immediately to my left 3 bets, and it's folded back to the big blind, who calls. I call. 9.5 small bets. From my observations so far, big blind is a big fish who will call down with lots of sub-par hands, and plays way too many starters as well (dream opponent). 3 bettor is new to the game and this is the first hand he has played in 2 orbits at the table.

Flop comes Qs-Jd-6s. Big blind checks. I check (I put guy behind me on either AA,KK, or AK, seeing as how this was his first hand and he 3-bet coming in, I figured he had to have something good, and if not, would follow up with a flop bet anyway). 3 bettor checks. Ooops.

Turn comes 2s [Qs-Jd-6s] and Big blind comes out betting! I have the As with my TPTK, and just call. 3 bettor calls as well.

River comes off a blank (red 7, I believe). Big blind now checks. Action is up to you --- is this a clear bet? Thanks. Results later. (and any critiquing of my weak-ass play is appreciated as well)
Old 07-08-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Strange 10-20 hand

I would most likely bet the flop. Seeing as how you didn't then....

I think the turn bet by the BB is Ks Jx or maybe even Ks Tx. I would probably raise most of the time here with top pair, nut flush draw. Seeing as how you didn't then.....

I would believe I had the best hand knowing the 3-bettor only called the turn and the BB checked the river. I would bet here about 100% of the time.

~stephen
Old 07-08-2003, 12:15 PM

Generally I would raise the turn and expect to get 3BB out of the blind. It's very likely he has a made hand that's worse than yours. On the river, yes it's a clear bet when checked to you.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:40 PM

I would have bet the flop. If 3 better just calls I would also raise the BB on the turn with the As. Clear bet on the river.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:53 PM

Default Results

When checked to on the end, I did bet it, and got called in two spots. I felt pretty good turning my cards over b/c no one had raised me, and I expected a raise from anything better than TPTK. 3 Bettor mucked w/no comment, and BB...shows me Ks-5s for the 2nd nut flush?!? His play of that hand really confused me, to the point where I questioned my river bet --- thanks to all that responded for re-affirming my decision to bet the river (and also for encouraging me to bet into 3 bettor on the flop -- I need to get over my phobia of playing TPTK strongly against a 3 bettor who may have an overpair)