Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Unexpected river strength on a not-too-scary board

$3-$6 game...very loose/passive, especially pre-flop. Three limpers to you in late middle position, you limp as well with Jh 10h. You pick up two more limpers behind you, and of course the blinds come along. 8 to the flop for 1 sb each.

Flop comes 10c 3h 2h, giving you top pair and a heart draw. blinds and UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, one call in front of you and you raise. (comments on the raise?) 1 cold-caller behind (terrible player who could have anything) and original bettor and caller also call the raise. 4 to the turn with 8 BB in.

Turn comes Jd (flop: 10c 3h 2h), giving you top two pair with heart draw. Checked to you, you bet, bad cold-caller folds, UTG folds, and MP calls. 10 BB in.

River comes 8s [Jd (10c 3h 2h)]. And surprisingly your opponent wakes up and bets into you. What's your play here? Do you give her credit for the straight or perhaps a rivered set? She isn't an unknown player to you -- your read on her being weak/passive, so when she bets, she has something. Obviously, you are going to at least call, but how many raise on the river? Thanks. Results to follow.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Unexpected river strength on a not-too-scary board

I like your play to the river. You flop top pair and a draw which is a monster in a multiway pot. I would get 4 bets in on the flop if possible and I see you played it aggressively. You definitely want to raise because unlike a a hand that is just drawing you also have top pair and can win that way. On the river, it depends what she is likely to play preflop...but it looks like something like 10-8 or a set of 8's is a possibility (as well as a chance of her having flopped a small set but being afraid of a check-check on the end). My default play would be to raise and put her on 10-8 and (esp. if she is passive) you won't be reraised unless she has a complete monster. If this happens you could consider folding. I vote to raise and fold to a 3-bet against THIS player.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:04 AM

your read on her being weak/passive, so when she bets, she has something

I would just call here based on your description for the player. I have had bad experience raising with top two when an unlikely straight card show up on the river.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:28 PM

hi cool
looks perfect to me. she got you on the river. you'll have to call.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:30 AM

I would call here. A raise may not be bad either- the one reasonable hand she could have that beats you with is a set of 8's. Q9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] could be a possibility also- I hope it wan't Q9o.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:34 PM

Like one of the posters, I decided her strength on the river was her making two pair on the river, 10's & 8's, and decided to pop her. I raise, she calls, which makes me feel good b/c she didn't re-raise. I show my two pair, and she shows her 9h 7h, for the gut shot straight. Looking back, I think I should have just called her down b/c of the opponent and what I know about her play. At least she was weak tight enough not to re-raise on the river (she actually said that when I raised, she was worried that I had Q9, as if I would have pumped the flop of 10-3-2 w/a Q9. Thank God she doesn't work hands backwards).