Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 AM

Default results

I thought about this hand later and I realized it's a call I should only make if I know the players, and I am pretty sure my hand is good. Neither of these was true at the time (I had only played a few hands here.)

Anyway, I made the mistake of calling. When I called, the guy said "Oh I guess I call too then" and tabled a set of jacks. The woman on the button had a queen-high flush, so I was drawing dead.

The board paired on the river and the guy scooped a $6000 pot.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: hand from bellagio 10/20

Why didn't you raise on the flop? While these type of draws are great hands, their value drastically decreases if you're up against a higher flush draw AND another hand. You absolutely cannot have that happen, and should raise on the flop.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only hand your beating here is Ad J. You might as well have turned your cards face up the way you played the hand. Check call on the flop and then check raise the flush when it hit. The woman must know you hit the flush and she is telling you the flush doesn't scare her. I think she could possibly be semi bluffing with the Ace of diamonds thinking she can push you off a small flush but are you willing to put your stack in to find out. I would reluctantly fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's such a masterful play.. Wow

Blackjack
Old 06-24-2005, 08:58 AM

there are a couple of lines i might use with this type of hand in this type of situation. The way you played it is absolutely not one of them.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Call if you hate money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-24-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about this hand later and I realized it's a call I should only make if I know the players, and I am pretty sure my hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't know the players, though. So just looking at the cards and the bets, what hands do you logically put your opponents on, specifically the woman?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 PM

a set, and 7d2d.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought about this hand later and I realized it's a call I should only make if I know the players, and I am pretty sure my hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't know the players, though. So just looking at the cards and the bets, what hands do you logically put your opponents on, specifically the woman?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread what he was saying. He meant that the default here should be folding, and he didn't have enough information on his opponents to justify deviating from that play, and he screwed up.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread what he was saying. He meant that the default here should be folding, and he didn't have enough information on his opponents to justify deviating from that play, and he screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I understood just fine. I'm just wondering, at the time he made the call, what range of hands he put his opponents on, as it doesn't sound like he made a quick decision (he mentions talking to the woman, trying to get a read, etc.).
Old 06-25-2005, 04:18 AM

I know I'm late to the party but I just want to say this is a CLEAR fold. The absolute best case scenario is that you have to dodge seven hearts on the river. I know you said the game was LAGgy but unless one or both of your opponents are bordering on brain dead, you are in very bad shape, here.

SpaceAce