Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 06-03-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Evaluating Risk/Reward 5 handed with chip lead

I would agree with what you say about the stop and go, though, it is VERY useful in STT when you do find yourself in that very desperate short stacked situation, which can happen frequently. I like to use it when my remaining chips will be about pot sized, or maybe a little less. But, I do not really like to use it as a big stack, because it looks too fishy.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:41 AM

This is a 10+1

[ QUOTE ]
Also your image is probably that of a big bully when you move allin, due to your giant stack, which may make some more likely to call.

Also you will often be able to steal relentlessly in the future in situations where your opponents have shown zero strength at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assesment is very good. I was able to continue to push in favorable spots and had a stack of 4400ish on the bubble and it was all gravy from there. I even got a couple of "WTF?!?!?"'s when I kept folding my SB to the shortstack BB when he had ~200 chips left. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the responses. I know this is only one hand but it feels really good to know that I was able to make a sound decision in this situation through a solid +ev thinking process that is becoming more and more possible everyday thanks to 2+2. [/sappyness]
Old 06-03-2005, 01:47 AM

There's a very important facet to this hand I think people are missing... what if Hero is winning? Am I the only one that's seen people do this with weaker hands than KQs (or with small pocket pairs?) Anyway, I think a push is the best play here.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:58 AM

You're big stack, you could push him around. KQs is a pretty nice hand. But I think he calls too much to do this. At my levels, bet/raise almost always means strength, or at the very least, "I'm calling you down."
Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 AM

The problem is, you almost never want to be called with KQs 5-handed, even if your opponents sucks. You almost always want folds out of your opponents. Even if he has KJ, KT, K9, and QJ, there's a lot of aces and small pocket pairs you really don't want to call you.

Past L4, you want folds, unless you have AA-QQ. You really like taking pots down without showing your hand.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Right, of course you often prefer a fold. Doesn't mean you're not making a mistake if *you* fold.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:41 PM

You want an opponent who is dominated to fold? Can you elaborate on that?