Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 05-24-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Chop?

someone quit and they voted him back into the thing
Old 05-25-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: The Contender Season Finale

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Suited on your bet, and making the threads each week to talk about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to everyone who echoed this sentiment. This show was called, "The Best Show That Nobody Is Watching," and I appreciate being able to come here and discuss this show with everyone.

I thought that tonight's fight was amazing and was the perfect ending to the series. Sergio was a warrior and fought like a man seizing an opportunity. I feel very sorry for Manfredo, he fought hard and was beaten by a better fighter. (It looks like his wife is pregnant, so his life can't be all that bad.)

Gomez' fight was amazing as well. I hate to see what this guy is going to do when he fights in his own weight class. I think that Jesse is the most talented of the bunch and needs to decide to take things seriously. One of the things about Jesse that was on Yahoo, but not NBC: After he beat Jonathan Reid in the first round, he gave Reid and his family his winner's share from the fight because they had a baby on the way.

I am going to guess that they didn't chop. I think that all of the fighters who fought today were probably paid more than they had ever made in their life. I know that the winner of the People's Choice bout received $200,000 so I imagine that the losers were paid pretty well also.

I am disappointed in NBC's decision to ignore Najai Turpin. They did exactly the minimum for him. Five seconds at the end of his episode and then setting up a trust for his daughter that they haven't pushed since. There was no mention of him by anyone other than Sergio (the first words out of mouth after victory, "Rest In Peace, Najai Turpin.") I felt like he was the elephant in the room that no one was willing to acknowledge.

The show was amazing and I hope that there is a 2nd Season. I was touched so much by the show because all of them were struggling and fighting to give their families a better life, and I am going through a similar thing. The decision to show this side of the fighters, to allow us to get to know their familes, and their struggles was what drew me in to this show.

Again, thanks to all of you for allowing me to discuss this with you on a weekly basis.

-Sixes
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 AM

Ya awesome final fights and awesome freaking show. Definitely show of the season. Nothing has compared. Maybe they will do a different weight class for contender 2.
And you think we are oing to have a rematch? Sly. Sheesh. I'll echo the horrible commentary, but the fight was great. And I still say that all fights should be Rocky style with the slow motion. It would revolutionize boxing.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: results

I think Sergio was in much better condition that Peter, and that he rope-a-doped Peter a good bit. Peter had a great round in round 4 I guess it was?, punching like crazy, mostly to the body, and wearing himself out. After that round, Peter was much weakened, and Sergio hadn't really absorbed much punishment. From that point on, Peter never really recovered, and after a while Sergio seemed to be landing punches like crazy, while even when Peter did land a punch, it was mostly to the body again. My guess is he not only had tunnel vision, but frankly was having trouble lifting his arms to shoot higher. When his punches did land, they didn't sink in or push back -- they bounced.

The last couple of rounds especially, Sergio seemed far fresher. He had much more variety in his punches, threw more combos instead of just isolated punches, and was able to do more than just sprint for a clinch and punch low. And he took very little punisment in comparison to Peter, who seemed to be just inhaling those punches.

It seemed a very clear win for Sergio, to me, and it looked almost predictable from the 5th onward.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: results

As for another season, it will have to be on another channel. As for the fight, that was awesome. I can't believe the judges had it so lopsided, though. One had it 7-0 and another had it 6-1 for Sergio. He was landing some punches early, but I thought the first three or four rounds could have went either way. Amazing fight and show, watched from the first episode and loved every one. Wish they would do it again.

P.S. Sly needed to be about 1000 miles away from a mic during the fight. That was horrible.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:01 AM

Damn I lost $8 on Manfredo. What was I thinking going against the hometown fighter? Oh well, great fights. I'm sure there will be a Contender 2.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:39 AM

Peter dominated the fight and all Sergio did was steal rounds at the end. Sergio is terrible thats all he has done the entire show. The ending was a discrace. Peter you won, no doubt about it!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:41 AM

The 2nd fight was okay but way too much holding on the ropes for me. The 1st fight between Alfonso and Jesse was great and much better than the final I thought.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 AM

The ratings have sucked. I doubt we'll see a Contender 2, at least not on NBC.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:49 AM

Yeah really, there is more to a fight than sitting back on the ropes. Also, how can you fight for 20-25 seconds each round and win a fight? There are 3 minutes in each round and Peter by far was the one taking the action to Sergio EXCEPT for the last 15 seconds of rounds and maybe a short period in the middle of the round. I felt it was a close fight but the judges were way off on the scores. Also, did you see how banged up Sergio was after the fight and how clean Perter looked? I mean come on...how do you say Sergio dominated the fight. Sure it was close somewhat but by far Peter should have won. Sergio also showed how much class he has which is next to none by mouthing off at some mans family thats just cheering him on. Give me a break Sergio, I hope you get knocked out the next time you fight also I hope you actually fight the next fight the whole way through!