Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 04-08-2005, 10:30 PM

Default party 15 river

4 handed party 15

co limps, button raises, sb folds, i call with 44, limper calls.

Flop: 7c 5s 4c. . .

I bet, call, fold

Turn 3h. . .

I bet, limper calls

River 2d, I check intending to cr, and fold to a 3 bet. I honestly hate taking any line that makes me fold when there's a miniscule chance i may win, and often take the safer line just so i don't have to do that, but would have to fold to a 3 bet here, no?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: party 15 river

I think you're getting greedy.

If you're unsure of your hand then check/call.

If you like your hand, then bet it and be willing to pay off a raise.

But I see little point in check/raising. Mainly, because a worse hand probably won't bet. If a worse hand does bet, it probably won't call a check/raise. Either way, when you check and your opponent bets, you become a bigger underdog when calling, so check/raising makes even less sense.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:09 AM

bah. I don't think that when you check and he bets you have to hate your hand, but a lot of times you will miss the cr, as most people raise the turn with the straight, but, by calling, it seems they will bet a good, but non--6 hand on the turn, in which case the river cr makes sense. the question is whether to bet out vs. cr and folding to a bet. . .
Old 04-09-2005, 03:22 AM

I think you have to bet and call a raise here (unless you have a good read on your opponent). There's a lot of hands that will probably pay off a river bet but will not bet if you check to them. There are probably some hands that will bet the river if you check that you beat, but they are likely to be total bluffs and will not call a check-raise.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:27 PM

<font color="red">I don't think that when you check and he bets you have to hate your hand, </font>

I never said you have to hate your hand. I said you are a bigger underdog when check/calling than you are when betting given this board. Not sure how you can disagree with that.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:06 PM

This is horrible. He will check behind with TONS of hands that he would have called a bet with. The only good thing about this is to induce a bluff for 1 bet if he has TOTALLY whiffed and wouldnt call a bet anyway, but this happens far less often then him calling you with a worse hand.