Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 02-25-2005, 07:00 AM

Default First PLO/8 post

I'm just learning this game so be gentle.

Party $25 PLO8 I have around $50. Two limpers to me in MP I raise to $1.50 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO calls, BB calls and the limpers call.

Four see a flop (~ $7):

2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Checked around to me, I underbet @ $3. CO ($49) calls, Limpers ($18, $69) call.

Turn ($19)
T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked around to me, I bet pot.

Standard? Good? Completely misplayed?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: First PLO/8 post

Even with your uncounterfeitable nut low, I think you are looking to just buy this pot if possible, relying on your ace of trump. So I'd go ahead and bet the maximum on the flop.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:36 PM

I don't like O8 in any form, and most of the posters here don't seem to either by the few plo8 posts, but I will comment anyway. I would have bet the full pot, since the players in $25 are so often clueless and none will be worried they are being given a discount to call the double nuts as would players at the $100 level. Once you have been called in two places though, you have to realize you are up against a split for low and most likely someone with a lower flush or a set, both of which beat your aces for high. Thus you are most likely being quartered, although your low cannot be counterfeited by the river card which gives you a possible way to win against the other low if a 3 comes. An even ugglier possibility exists in which both other players have A3 for the low and one of them a high in which case you are going to get 1/6th. Thus for every dollar extra you put in this pot, you will only get 33 or 16 cents back. I would check the turn and only consider calling if the utg player folded, although if the player who bet is very tight and I was sure I was being quatered I would probably fold altogether.

Of course the problem in the $25 games is that there are so many idiots and for all you know they both have A5 for low, no flush and maybe 2 pair that could be counterfeited on the river. Still it pays to be much tighter in plo8 than it does in plo high.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 PM

your underbet makes it such that you have no idea what anyone has. bet out, and if there is a raise and a caller or a raise and a reraise then you have to think about dropping your hand.

once everyone just calls, it looks like a bunch of people were hoping that they could catch a miracle card on the turn for cheap. the T is likely a blank, so bet the pot. again, if you get raised by one of the larger stacks, you have to consider the risk that you are getting quartered, but you have given no evidence to suggest that a monster is lurking.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:17 PM

I don’t play a ton of PLO8, but it seems fine to me. I think the key here is that you have the Ad.

Since you do, anyone with a low that’s calling you should have A3 and thus the A can’t be a diamond, meaning the chances they have a made flush are now only 50% as likely as before. And you are likely to ¾ them. Anyone with a decent flush sees the low out and knows they’re only playing for half the pot AND the Ax flush could be out.

Since your low is very strong here but your high is fairly weak, I think you want to play it just like you did – get a couple more $ in the pot on the flop, then blow them out to try and pick up high.

If you can get a set or weak flush to fold here, you win the half of the pot you wouldn’t otherwise, worth $10. If you get all in and are quartered, it probably costs you around $18 or so (wtd for times he gets counterfeited). But I think you’re opponents will fold fairly often as A3 without diamonds is in trouble, and weak diamonds without good low is in trouble, and sets will fold – all of which could be calling hands here. And you could even 3/4 someone who calls with A3 no diamonds.

--Greg