Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 09:30 PM

Default I love stud/8 (low content)

Played my first stud hi/lo tournament on Stars today, having read only the first part of the relevant section in Zee's book...and finished second. I was very comfortable, and took to the game pretty quickly, it seemed... of course, it didn't hurt that there were four, maybe five people overall who knew what they were doing.

How lucrative do you guys think stud/8 tournaments are in general? This was a $10+$1 tournament...does the competition get significantly better at the $20+$2, or the $50+$5?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: I love stud/8 (low content)

I have played in the 100+9 on a couple of occasions and there are always at least a couple of people who have no clue. I am not a stud-hi player but the one time I played in the 100+9 on sundays I felt very comfortable and almost cashed but made a huge mistake at the final table(top 5 paid). I am playing the 200+15 on saturday night...hopefully I wont be too wasted by its ten o'clock start time. I have played two 50+5s(its on tonight!) and a maybe 4 or 5 20+2s and the compeition was pretty bad. The tournaments dont even really start until the thrid level. You definitly see people with no clue on about every level of buy-in though...
Old 02-22-2005, 09:57 PM

Congrats!

Were these SNG's or MTT's?

See, it is stuff like this that gets me so hot under the collar when people diss Ray's book (see thread over in the O8 section, if you're interested).

Then again, maybe I should let them stay so uneducated!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 10:28 PM

I primarly play the stud 8 tournaments on stars. Not only are the $10 tournaments about the same skill wise as the $20, they are usually the same people. You see a lot of the same people playing in those stud tournies...some of them are pretty good, some are just plain awful. $20 is the highest that Ive every played...my BR isnt too big right now since Im a college student. But I can definately say that up to $20, the tournaments are very beatable.

Aicirt
Old 02-22-2005, 11:30 PM

Thanks, Felicia...this was a MTT, 132 runners.

I've actually had Ray's book for quite awhile now (I think it's about the fourth or fifth-oldest book in my collection) but I never really read the stud/8 section, since I had just started playing O/8 and didn't have anywhere to play stud/8 at the time. Suffice to say, I plan on reading it much more thoroughly in the near future...