Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 02-04-2005, 12:07 AM

Default How can you take a worse beat?? And PLEASE tell me the correct rule

$5-5 and I'm the second low stack at the table w/ $1500.

I don't complain a whole lot about bad beats, but I can't possible think of a worse beat you can take than this one because neither the turn nor the river were the "correct" turn and river. Also, please tell me the correct ruling because this one can't be right. Is there a place I can go to print the rules?

I have 4c,4s in mid and call. There are 6 callers and the big action man makes it 30 in the BB. We all call. The flop is 4,6,7 w/ 2 clubs. SB bets $100 (only has 100 left) and action Jackson calls. I make it $300 and we're heads up w/ the small blind going all in for his remaining $100. The card is burned and the turn card is boxed. We can all see a 10d. They call the floor over and they say to treat it like paper and deal the next card!!!!! Whoa, whoa, whoa....how can that be right??? That messes up the river too. I would think that either you play the 10d since it's the REAL turn card anyway or you burn and turn the river and shuffle the 10 back in with the other remaining cards and then deal that just like if it was exposed, right???? They didn't see it that way. The next card is a 3c. Asian Jackson bets $100 and I call. The "river" is another club and I throw my cards out when he reaches for $300. The next card was a Kd for what it's worth. The all in guy had the nut flush and action Jackson had a Q of clubs. I was too furious to even wonder what his next card was.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: How can you take a worse beat?? And PLEASE tell me the correct rule

where was this? sounds pretty awful to me...
Old 02-04-2005, 12:25 AM

Rule: They can burn as many cards as they want to but if they turn one up, they have to use it.

That sucks.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:44 AM

Default I should mention

They rotate pit bosses here so sometimes you don't have a floorperson that is extremely knowledgeable. You could get a person (as I did) that is usually in the blackjack or craps pit and isn't familiar with all the rules.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Bellagio ruling

I called the bellagio and they said that what they ruled was correct. Many of you probably already knew this. They said the card doesn't exist and you go to the next card. I still think this is completely illogical and I really wish someone could explain why it's treated differently than an exposed card or why you can't play it since it IS the next card to be played. It's machine shuffled and it's not like anyone say the card or knew what it was! Whoever rewrites the rules should take another look at this 'cuz it's assanine, senseless and silly. Of course my opinion might be biased since it cost me some money!!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:48 AM

The exact same situation happened at our card club in Des Moines the other day. A king of spades was boxed when it was supposed to be the turn card. The floor ruled that they burn and turn what would have been the river card (now the turn) so as not to screw up both streets. They then shuffled the king of spades back in and pulled off a river card. It was the king of spades.

I think this is a MUCH better way to do it - it only screws up one street rather than two.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The card is burned and the turn card is boxed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm Finnish so could anyone please explain what does this mean?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:16 PM

boxed means it was face up in the deck
Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: How can you take a worse beat?? And PLEASE tell me the correct rul

does the rule matter? if you are ignorant of your position in the hand, you would be indifferent about how they handled these situations. as long as they followed their rules, then i don't see the beef.