Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 12:45 PM

Default too aggressive on the turn?

local 10/20 game...lot of swimmers. My table image is very tight, I've shown two hands down in the two hours I've been at the table: pocket kings and Ace-King for TPTK, both holding up. Onto the hand.

I'm in the SB with Ah Qh. Two early limpers, MP raises, three cold callers to me. I just call. BB calls as do the two early limpers. 8 to the flop for 16 sb.

Flop is 8-6-5, rainbow (no hearts). Checked around. (??)

Turn comes Qc, putting two clubs on the board. I check w/the intention of c-r a late position bettor, hoping to clear the field. Checked by the two EP, checked by the pre-flop raiser, and LMP bets. Two calls and I check-raise. Instant fold by the four players in between me and the turn bettor. Turn bettor grumbles and shows A-Q and mucks. The two other players call. 3 to the river for 15 bb.

River is a non club 9, making the final board (8-6-5) Q 9.
I check with the intention of calling a single bet. Checked around and MHIG.

After the hand I got chastised for being two aggressive with the turn checkraise, but I felt with no action on the flop, and no real aggression on the turn (I put bettor on QJ), that my hand was good. Anyone think I overplayed TPTK on the turn? Thanks.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: too aggressive on the turn?

No, I would prefer to just bet out, but this worked out well. I dont really know how he mucked aq there, but more money for you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2004, 04:31 PM

i dont think you were aggressive enough in this hand. at these limits most players are very passive and therefore think its ridiculous when a player shows aggression. i think you should have 3bet preflop with such a large multiway pot. your hand has alot of equity in this hand even if you are behind the pfr. i like the cr on the turn here, but i may have been inclined to bet out. either play in my mind is about the same in terms of EV. I would have also valuebetted the river here. noone has shown any aggression on the turn, so its unlikely youll be raised on the river when you bet, and if someone has a better hand than yours they are betting anyway. so by betting you win more, lose the same.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:47 PM

I agree w/ TStone. Nobody indicated they had you beat on the turn...plus if the turn bettor did in fact show his hand (? bad ettiquite) then you would know that there's only 1 more Q in the deck. Your oppenents either had a redraw or a weaker Q. The 9 probably didn't help either of them. I think a value bet is in order on the river.