Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Find the mistake

[ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop -- I think you could have raised smaller, to 60 perhaps. The problem with the first hand of a Party $10 SNG is that the amount you raise pre-flop will not change your poor opponents' behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree - i think that the difference between ~4.5xBB and ~6xBB doesn't mean anything to someone who is going to call w/ ATo.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop -- Mediocre for you, but you may still be ahead. This is a big reason I like the pot to be smaller at this point. Now, a "legitimate" bet can be about 100, as opposed to the 175-200 you would need to bet with the pot the size that it ended up in your scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

again - i agree you may still be ahead - and wouldn't the blank on the turn keep you on this assumption?? you can't figure with the way this hand played out that they've improved with this card??

so i guess my question is - is one more smallish bet (rel. to pot) worth here to try to push someone off their hand? or do you think the villan would have called if you bet out with his busted four-outter? (2 of which you held!)

anyways - i probably would have been all in with my set of queens i'm just trying to see what others think about this strategy of betting the turn with an overcard out there and being first to act on some one who has just called/checked?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:12 PM

The problem with betting again on the turn is that you could easily be against a weak king who doesn't like his kicker but will call the whole way.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:17 PM

any sense check-raising the flop? if he checks behind you, well if an ace doesn't come or the board doesn't pair you can be almost certain you have the best hand on the turn and put out a good healthy pot sized bet.

however in writing this i forgot there was another guy in the pot as well and your bet got him out. generally i think you're playing was fine
Old 09-24-2004, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I did intend to check-fold the turn to any reasonable bet. I had put the guy on a K on the flop, and figured I had him on the river. AT never even entered my mind...I was almost certain I was against 2 pair. If I had it to do again, I might have just called the raise on the river, rather than push.

Not so bad, though...I ended up cashing in three of my next 4 SNGs, winning my last two. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]