Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Against a Donk...

Comments apreciated on Flop, Turn and River...

3rd hand of the tournament, MP AKo, MP+2 (won first two hands raising and betting with crap (donk) has 1900 and button just lost his blinds 1470.

2 limps, I raise to 160, MP+2 calls, button calls.

Flop : 223, I check- donk checks- button makes it 180, I call, donk call

Turn : 4, I check, donk checks, button checks

River : A I check, donk bets 180, call, I raise to 620, donk thinks and call, button folds.

I checked the flop, in the intend of calling a bet and didn't want to be raised and have to let it go. OK? I could have bet 250-350 but against 2 oop, I thought I may be against a PP...

Turn, same thing, but ready to fold to a big bet.

River, since they both checked, I figured I was against Ax, so I wanted to check raise.

When donk bets, and 1 calls, I really think I am in good shape and raise to 620 (enough for 1 caller and could be seen as a steal attempt so I would be called by maybe any Ax).

Would you have played it differently, results later...
Old 11-04-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Against a Donk...

You raised to 160 with 10/20 blinds? Thats where I start changing things.

I raise to 80 preflop, bet 200 on flop but having not bet the flop...I check the turn like u did. I bet the river though. Pot size is 1050. I would bet 750 and pray to get called and win.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Against a Donk...

This is a Party tourney, with blinds at 10/15? If so, your pre-flop raise is too large. Unless they have A/x or K/x, they are not giving you a lot of equity by calling, they may even be ahead with a pocket pair, and you are actually putting yourself in position to make a larger mistake later in the hand.

To wit: you have no idea where you stand after the flop. It missed you, and now you are check-calling a substantial bet. The pot is large, so it is hard for you to get a read on the better, and you may be making a mistake by calling against a pocket pair.

If you keep the pot small with a smaller pre-flop raise, you can continuation bet the flop and get a better idea of where you stand.