Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 06:30 PM

Default My aggression factor was too high...

15/30 game, 10 handed. Villain is bb, 28/14/1.5. I got nothing more specific to offer about him...

Dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP and openraise. All fold to bb who calls.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and bb leads into me with a bet. I call.

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], BB bets, I call.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB bets, I raise.

It just felt to me like BB wanted me to raise so he could toss his mediocre hand, but there were draws I should have maybe punished on the turn?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: My aggression factor was too high...

IMO when someone leads into the p/f raiser like this they often are on a semibluff. I think you should raise before the river, especially since you have QQ, AA I could justify playing the way you did.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM

Raise the flop. Especially when the flop includes J10, I find people love to put you on AK. Hopefully he'll three bet and you can cap.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:09 PM

Raise the flop. There are too many ways he can pick up a draw with a hand he would have folded to a raise. Barring that, raise the turn. Your hand is vulnerable, make it wrong to draw to all the overcard / gutshot / 1 pair hands.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 04-07-2005, 07:52 PM

I don't like raising the flop. It lets them get away from their hand cheaply when they're bluffing into you. I normally raise the turn.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop. Especially when the flop includes J10, I find people love to put you on AK. Hopefully he'll three bet and you can cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
What advantage does capping have over calling the three-bet and popping the turn?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM

In my experience, people have an easier time folding to a turn raise. However, if you keep pounding them from beginning to end, they are more likely to call, call, call, at times with surprisingly weak holdings.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, people have an easier time folding to a turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot is big enough by the time we raise the turn that with just our overpair, we aren't upset about having him fold.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 PM

My thoughts: First of all I feel as if I would have been checkraised by him if he held a strong draw. So it seemed more likely that he held a piece of the board and I didn't want to scare him away from it. Second, the pot is so small that I really don't mind him picking up a better draw on the turn (because he is going to be there in any case).

I guess it just seemed to me more likely that he was holding a weak jack, hoping that I would raise and knock him off his hand. Because the pot was small, I would rather allow him to draw to his 5 outs than fold to a raise...

My last justification is that this player really isn't a poor player. I mean he is a little too loose and a little too passive, so I felt like this line from him was just asking me to raise so he could toss his cards. Anyway those are my justifications, bash away.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it just seemed to me more likely that he was holding a weak jack, hoping that I would raise and knock him off his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're raising this flop with AK/ AQ then, right?