Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Calling an all in with AK

Can't remember about the blinds but I will say I hate calling all my chips with a passion so strong that it makes my skin blister. I wanted to be sure he'd push a hand like Ax regularly, I wasn't, so I let it go.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:50 AM

Then I think you made the best choice.

Had you called and missed you would have been very very upset with yourself. This is not good for poker. By folding you may regret it down the road if you dont make the money, but its not fair to do that to yourself because you cant predict the future.

I can not see at all how this situation is a no brain call every time because calling doesnt have any guaronteed results for the plus and folding doesnt do any harm.

I am much happier going out on a push then I am a call.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:05 AM

Tosh,

I know for a fact that at the higher level party sngs not calling here is wrong.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:30 AM

I find it hard to believe you're wrong, and at the time I found it hard to believe then too, but ... well I guess I convinced myself. Normally I call, but this time I just felt I should fold.

I am not a big fan of Party SNGs, shallow stacks are not my thing, but I still think the various factors make them more profitable than Stars.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact that at the higher level party sngs not calling here is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong in terms of winning the hand or wrong in terms of winning the tourny?

I normally hate being in marginal situations, but I've started to call all-ins more frequently now. Before, I'd think "why risk my entire stack when I may be in a marginal situation?" Lately, I've been more aggressive when calling all-ins. My line of thinking is more in terms of when am I going to be in a better position to double-up? Stealing blinds is surving, but doubling up is how you win these bad boys.

Let's say the blinds where T100/T200 and you werer in the SB with AJ -- exact same siutation--most people would call here. Probably with even worse.

So, I'd prefer this marginal situation to other future more marginal situations. Autocall.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say the blinds where T100/T200 and you werer in the SB with AJ -- exact same siutation--most people would call here. Probably with even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would muck AJ so fast, and then forgot I even had it. (Unless I was severly short stacked)
Old 09-08-2004, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would muck AJ so fast, and then forgot I even had it. (Unless I was severly short stacked)

[/ QUOTE ]

Had what?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:42 PM

Perhaps this is exactly what has been lacking in my sng play. Normaly I would fold here, thinking especially at an earlier stage I do not want to call allin since each time you do you multiply your cahnces of busting out. So here on average you will be about a 60% favorate, and even if you double up on average you will almost cirtianly be allin for a showdown at least once more in a similar spot, and you chances of winning both are <40%, so given this you would have to play perfectly to have any chance of being itm enough to be profitable.

But pehaps these earlier risks are worth it, given the blinds get so high even b4 the money the only real advantage a good palyer has is to get ahold of chips at an earlier stage and play aggresively with them. So that I guess is the rationale for calling, so I guess I will try these sorts of plays and see if they pay off.