Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 06:06 PM

Default help me, I\'m lost with pocket 9\'s

I felt comfortable with everyone at the table, we've been playing for an hour plus.

UTG is a total donk 76/1.6/0.54
MP1 61/32/2.12 I've been looking to isolate, but haven't the last few orbits.
MP2 29/9/1.38 Seemed passive against any aggression, I don't remember him 3 betting the player on his right, despite the fact that MP1 was raising a third of the hands.

Comments on all streets are appreciated. I wanted to isolate MP1, but with the cold-call in front of me, I just called. I raised on the flop figuring MP2 just had overs--or else he would have raised with top pair--, and knowing that MP1 would continuation pretty much anything. Donk does what a donk does on the river--should I vomit or raise?

Ultimate Bet 3/6 Hold'em (Kill) (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

River: (11.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: help me, I\'m lost with pocket 9\'s

I would raise and call a three bet.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 PM

Raise the river.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:16 PM

This screams "i have a full house, and a full house is good".

I think quite often against the right kind of player, you get 3bet here with something worse, so a cap isn't even out of the question (if there is a 4 bet cap, otherwise i lean towards calling a 3bet).
Old 11-22-2005, 06:19 PM

3-bet preflop because you have the best hand.

Raise the river because you still have the best hand.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop because you have the best hand.

Raise the river because you still have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-22-2005, 06:24 PM

I like every street, and feel that you should raise/call the river. You won't be shown quads often at all, whereas you'll see A8 a lot. He might have TT, but he's not gonna 3-bet you with that on the river.

As for hobbs' suggestion that you raise PF, I don't like it. If there wasn't a coldcaller between you, I'd 3-bet in a milisecond, but as things stand you'll get yourself in trouble by 3-betting 99 here. Plus, when you just call PF, one of the two MP players will likely bet the flop into you, meaning you can raise and perhaps thin the field a little. If you 3-bet and are just called on your right, they'll check it to you a lot of the time and then you'll be offering them amazing odds on a call (the pot now being larger from the PF 3-bet, and its only 1SB to them since they checked to you).
Old 11-22-2005, 06:31 PM

Normally I don't think this a 3-bet preflop against average opposition, but when the pfr is a 60/30 type the next guy in has an expanded cold calling range and considering he is already kind of lag to begin with (29/13ish I think) 99 is WAY ahead of the range of these two jokers so bump it to 3-bets and get everybody else the [censored] out of your hand.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:34 PM

raises the river and beats jacks full of eights
Old 11-22-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally I don't think this a 3-bet preflop against average opposition, but when the pfr is a 60/30 type the next guy in has an expanded cold calling range and considering he is already kind of lag to begin with (29/13ish I think) 99 is WAY ahead of the range of these two jokers so bump it to 3-bets and get everybody else the [censored] out of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you as far as equity is concerned, but I didn't 3 bet because I was certain I would be playing the hand against three opponents--there is no way UTG folds. Call it a place for me to improve, but playing pocket nines in a big pot against three opponents when overs flop is not my forte. But I'm pretty sure Ed Miller would tell me to suck it up and quit being a wuss, too.