Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: What do do with this draw on the bubble?

I agree with checking on the flop, with the intention of check raising. Unfortunately when it's bet AND raised to you, now you have a much tougher decision. I feel like folding is the correct choice due to the prize structure. If this was a winner take all tournament I would put my chips in and gamble, as you seriously have a powerhouse draw.

Once I was in your situation on the turn I would call the allin, and hope the shortstack loses, so you will at least get 3rd place anyway. By the way notice how bad it is to call for 2000 on the flop to just see one card (Which would be the case if you planned to fold on the turn). This is something you MUST avoid when you have such a draw, often by putting all your chips in on the flop, or simply folding if the pot odds don't look sufficient.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:09 AM

"So if moving all-in on the flop is not a giant overbet you should do that, and if it is, then you should go for a check-raise. The nice thing about check-raising hands like this is that it's risk free; if he checks behind you it's no skin off your nose. A free card is just fine with this hand."

I guess it is a pretty big overbet, but you are on the bubble. If you weren't on the bubble, it is definately a giant overbet, but is it when you are? I think you want the most FE. Depending on the game you could decide what give the most FE.

I guess if you think either a check or a small bet are more likely then check/raise is good, but if you think a big bet or push are likely then you should push first.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately when it's bet AND raised to you, now you have a much tougher decision. I feel like folding is the correct choice due to the prize structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying this because this is a 5/.50?

You are probably even money at worst to win, and there's already a lot of extra money in the pot. If the original bettor calls, you may have a 50+% chance to take out 2 players.

If you lose, you'll still have a few chips to try to come back.

Unless you are assuming a huge advantage over 5/.50 players, I think its a push.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:37 AM

Honestly I don't know the answer. It's so sick to check and have it bet and raised back to you.

Once again, in a normal type of prize structure I'd never just fold the hand, however its possible that the prize structure of 50-30-20, makes it foldable. I could definitely be wrong, I sometimes have trouble with my feel in these sit and go bubble situations where there is almost no folding equity.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:06 AM

I used to think that the payout structure of sng's should effect ones strategy, but after reading the harrington book i think just thinking about chip ev is the most important consideration. Outside of perhaps some unusuall bubble situations, like the presence of a very small stack.

Here on the flop your hand is a s good as AQ if not better, and the check raise idea seem best. All the action is a little worisome but reall it is still likley most of your outs are live, a7s is the only draw that would makes sense for them to have. So you are looking at abou 2-1 odds with an even money had, even if one has a set you are still getting the right odds to call allin. I think pushing allin on the flop is best (after your check), if you are to call it would be to be sure the BB calls, and you would have to then be allin on the turn, but he would prob call the allin if he were to call the first raise.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- Fold preflop
- Checkraise allin on the flop, even after the unfortunate min-raise.
- Give us more than 1 minute before posting results

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd strongly agree with everything, except wouldn't completely rule out limping with 8Ts in SB. Assuming loose passive players, it's well worth a look on the flop given your stack size and the relatively smallish blinds.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:45 AM

Yeah, I would NEVER fold this hand preflop in this situation.