Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Why some players avoid continuation bets on UB 10/25, 25/50?

Besides Aplusgame(who makes it very frequently), Green plastic(and Fishtank) few players use it, even in position they just check and let the other guy take the pot from him. Bruiser dont use it often either, rednosesam also is cautious. I can understand that if their playing some party 200NL because the play is so terrible they will call with anything resonable but wont good and decent players fold more, its 2/3 that he missed after all, can someone explain this?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Why some players avoid continuation bets on UB 10/25, 25/50?

"good player" doest mean the same thing as "will roll over everytime you bet at the pot". if you auto bet against better players you work your way into some pretty nasty spots. also, many players in higher limit games raise more pre-flop. this means the avg hand you end up with after the flop is not as strong so if you routinely make continuation bets you end up betting a lot of crud. another factor is that, even when its pretty likely your hand is best, you might have a hand that plays out better if you check behind, either cause it controls the pot or induces him to bluff.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
few players use it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just plain not true. The majority of players, probably vast majority, in both of those games fire at the flop almost every single time they raise pre-flop.

[ QUOTE ]
wont good and decent players fold more, its 2/3 that he missed after all

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the better players will call more continuation bets, not fold more.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand that if their playing some party 200NL because the play is so terrible they will call with anything resonable but wont good and decent players fold more, its 2/3 that he missed after all,

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement just doesnt seem true at all. The more you move up the greater the chance they will play back at your continuation bets, making it harder to tell if your ahead or not. At the party200 and below they might call your continuation bet with crap but there is a way less chance they will be playing back at you, so you should actually be continuation betting much more often. Players will sniff out weakness the higher u go so you dont wanna get blown off your hands on the flop.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:07 AM

Hey Cwl,

So why they open raise so much specially shorthanded?If they are not planning to take it down by stealing on the flop and checking it down when they flop a hand like middle pair, they endup laying like 175(pot pf raise) to win 75 in blinds and when called he gives up 2/3(maybe 1.5/3 assuming he fires a second barrel once and while) and when he hits he gives free cards. Why there is so much pf raising if it doenst look like a +EV proposition except when he holds a small pair or big pair and increading the pot will help to get all the money in but these players raise a lot(even bruiser) so they are probably doing it with JTo, 87s, A9o,etc Whats the reason for this?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:46 AM

but MOM, everybody else is raising with 78s...
Old 07-29-2005, 05:09 PM

this is true i find a lot of people calling my continuation bets... often they are calling with a small pocket pair. The thing is though, how many people are going to bet again on the turn with nothing, after your opponent called you on the flop. VERy few. So then all you can do is bet again on turn or river or check it down but your opponent still ends up winning. Maybe thats why people dont do it much.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This statement just doesnt seem true at all. The more you move up the greater the chance they will play back at your continuation bets, making it harder to tell if your ahead or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suppose check raising works..even a minraise if you dont have much, because overcards are folding and probably a underpair will fold too. how often do you make a move on a continuation bettor with nothing?
Old 07-30-2005, 04:32 AM

try playing straight forward poker, raise preflop, then if you hit something bet if you don't check, go from there. then start checking behind some of the time for pot control or whatever start checking behind when you hit something and if your opponent is folding too much or the board texture is good, whatever, BLUFF on the flop. i don't know if that's how i think but it's something to consider maybe.

i like raising preflop to play pots with bad players. i put in 175 to win 75, not bad right there, that itself only needs to work only 1/3 times or whatever. then if i hit the best hand on the flop i put up that 175 to win his 175 so if i hit the best hand 1/2 the time, or 1/3 the time and also with the times i just take it down preflop. plus when i hit monsters and get paid off. then times i can bluff on the flop and steal it, that is just gravy on the top. not sure if my post will be of any help, it's complicated and something you will just have to play a lot of poker to get a good feel for it.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:34 AM

were you crunk faded when you wrote this because i know you can do much better