Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Backing off with KK

Another 40-80 hand at the Commerce, fairly aggressive table. I open raise from MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the button calls, a reasonably tough and aggressive BB reraises, I cap, and they both call.

The flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB bets, I raise, button calls, BB reraises, I cap, and they both call.

The turn brings the 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and the BB bets. Call or raise? I called, and the button also called.

The river is the 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and the BB checks. Bet or check? I checked.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Backing off with KK

check......

he doesn't have a made flush, and fears someone could have backed into a straight I suppose.

If your description of him is correct, i think AQ with the ace of spades is one of the few hands he could have that you beat. JJ with the jack of spades is also possible. (remember, you capped it preflop so his cap of the flop shows even MORE strength, possibly something like AA or QQ)

The guy calling behind probably has either a queen or a big spade. Its doubtful that he backed into a straight, however I think a bet is incorrect since A= it won't be called by the button unless he has a queen or beats you (won't call with a pocket pair or a lone high spade) and B= you could definitely be behind the BB

C= you won't make a better hand fold

Old 09-11-2003, 09:07 PM

as far as the turn goes, i'd only think about raising if you are planning on checking the river behind (unless a spade comes, preferably the ace =p)
Old 09-11-2003, 09:26 PM

Looks like a good check to me. The flop and turn action looks like a made flush, probably non-nut and therefore played fast. The button probably holds the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

So he goes for a checkraise, knowing you have some sort of big hand, likely trips or an overpair, and will bet the river if checked to. The only hand I can see him betting that aggressively with that isn't a made flush is AQ with the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. But then, what could the button hold?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 PM

After overplaying the flop, you (correctly) slowed down. Check and make a crying call of the button's bet.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:54 PM

Default Results

The button checked behind me, BB showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and my hand was good. I'm still not so sure about my check on the river, I have this tendency to feel like I've been outplayed anytime I don't bet the river with the best hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Like I said, this was an aggressive table, so after being checked to on the river the chances my kings are good should have gone up considerably. But given how much of a schmuck I would feel if I got check raised, maybe it doesn't matter much in the end.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Results

Did the button show? What did you put him on?

With that much action and the button continuing to call, I would have a very hard time believing my overpair was good. I still think it's a check on the river.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:27 PM

I put the button on the nut flush draw. As it turns out he probably had AQ or KQs, possibly JsJx.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:46 PM

At least you didn't get a spade on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 04:31 PM

I would have played it the same way so I say "well played!"..heh

The bb's preflop abd flop actions are consisitent with AA or QQ. I am not saying that he has to have one of those hands but he quite easily could. So, slowing down with KK is right because you could easily be drawing. Besides, slowing down is unlikely to cost you the pot if a spade comes i.e. Ace of spades ain't going nowhere anyways. Of course, you lose the chance to gain some bets when ahead and the river doesn't bring a spade but that type of error from a failure to raise is not nearly as bad as the passive play error that costs you the pot.

On the river, there are just too many ways you could be beat. Hell, the bb may even be checking a set of Queens because he thinks the button may have just made the easy straight.