Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 PM

Default unbeatable games

I was invited once or twice to play in this house game. The people who ran it were friends of mine so against my better judgement I went and played a few times. They played crazy games that involved 5 cards in the hand and ten cards on the board. There were no wild cards, but it was very difficult to figure out what the value of your hand was. To top it off, everything was hi/lo split, you had to have a 7 low or better to take the low, and three of a kind or better to take the high half of the pot. The betting was forced progressive: you had to bet, raise, or fold. This was done to stimulate action and guarantee each pot was a minimum $100. The rake was $5 with no maximum. In other words, a $200 pot would be raked $10.

Given these factors, the game was completely unbeatable. Eventually the house took most of the money. It was funny to see how the regulars responded to being in a game that was unbeatable. Despite the crazy rules and "illusion of action" that forced betting created, there were a few players who managed to break even or lose minimum in this game. They played so tightly in these wild games that it was almost comical. While the game had the appearance of a loose, wild, gambling game, the players had adjusted to the large rake and were stone cold rocks, afraid to raise without the pure nuts. They had actually evolved optimal strategies to minimize losses. Imagine playing in a game where your optimal strategy was not to win, but to minimize how much you lost. When a game is unbeatable, good players tighten up to the point where the lose the minimum. They try to coast in the game until a sucker or pigeon comes along and then they try to extract the maximum out of that player. When that player goes broke, they go back to their survival mode and play super tight and avoid gambling and just try to survive in the game until it becomes profitable.

Also, I should add, that the regular players in this game were the most argumentative, bitchy, grouchy, irratable players I have ever played with. Their attitudes almost made me leave right away, and eventually it did. I speculate that the reason they were this way is because on some level, they knew they were playing in a game they couldnt beat. After many hours of playing in a hopeless situation, their emotions had gone sour.

The reason I posted this story was to make a point about game selection: Dont spend too much time or effort in games that are virtually unbeatable. If you find yourself in an "unbeatable" game, whether because of the rake is too high or because of the quality of play is too good or because of the structure, it is better off to quit. Continued play without results will only make you feel hopeless and eventually your control will give way to your emotions and you will start to steam, not because of bad beats, but because the game itself is unbeatable.

I know these seems like common sense, but sometimes we have p.oor results and we keep thinking how to improve our game. We take it as a challenge Sometimes, the answer is much simpler: the game itself is unbeatable. When you fear that a particular game you are playing in is unbeatable, if now matter how many pots you take down or how many great decisions you make you still have very little in the way of $$ profit, it is best to stop playing and look for better games. If better games dont exist, dont let yourself be tempted by these unbeatable games. Dont let your love of the game (as many of you better players just love to play, and I do, too) make you subject your mind and your bankroll to a situation which is without reward. The consequences are detrimental for your overall game, your outlook, and your feeling about poker in general.

-J
Old 10-07-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: unbeatable games

Lay off the booze.

I call shenanigans.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 AM

Um... Why in god's name were you playing in a home game that charges a rake? Much less a high one?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:26 PM

you fell for it.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I posted this story was to make a point about game selection: Dont spend too much time or effort in games that are virtually unbeatable. If you find yourself in an "unbeatable" game, whether because of the rake is too high or because of the quality of play is too good or because of the structure, it is better off to quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that basically common sense? And, why were you playing in a raked home game?