Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Switching from ring to 6max..What do I need to change?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before. I browsed around and didnt see anything that answered my question. Anyway, Ive recently decided to try my hand at 6max. First of all, why has it become so popular? Almost every hand i see posted now is 6max. Secondly having no 6 max experience, What do i need to do to adapt my game to this new style?

Just a little insight about my playstyle (i dont have pt stats on this comp) Im tight/passive i guess, thats what the pt mouse icon tells me anyways [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I dont want to lose my roll by trying this so any tips on the switch will be helpful to me.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Switching from ring to 6max..What do I need to change?

Change your PF standards especially in position. SCs, suited medium aces, and suited broadways are all worth raising. CO and button will be your best friends. Also, your aggression should go up, as you are more active/play hands faster/more aggressive.

I play TAG in 6>handed games, sometimes LAG when the situation calls.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 PM

The great thing about 6max is that the fish think it's a huge change from 9-handed. It's not. Take any full ring hand where the UTG, UTG+1 and EP fold. Hey, now it's six max! But the play becomes much looser, meaning it's more profitable, which is why everyone likes it.

As for what you need to do, I would say not too much. You probably want to loosen up a bit. There isn't an ideal set of numbers, but something in the 23/9 range is considered normal for 2+2.

Open up your button and CO raising standards. You will have a lot more chances to open raise on the CO/BTN because there are fewer people to limp infront of you. Take these chances to raise more marginal holdings than you normally would. That alone will help you loosen up.

EDIT: I clearly type slower than Orange =).
Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 PM

It's been asked a million times. Search.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:58 PM

I already said that...read.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 PM

To orange and fink, thanks for taking the time guys, appreciate the advice
Old 10-31-2005, 07:02 PM

Don't take the previous post to mean to raise SC's, suited medium aces and suited broadways out of position. You would raise them in the co & button when you are the 1st to come in for sure, but sometimes a limp is called for after a couple of players have limped before you. I certainly wouldn't advocate raising with those hands from ep as a matter of practice. Only do that when trying to change up your play a little to keep your opponents off balance. Being aggressive after the flop is slightly more important...so is knowing when to put on the breaks. I think most of the money you'll make is from the players that think that 6-max is much different than full ring and loosen up their playing standards even more than their already loose standards. Patience is still of paramount importance but because the orbits are faster you don'thave to wait as long. In summary, don't change much just let your opponents give you their $...and they will more quickly in 6-max. Just my opinion.
Lou
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM

just a quick question from a shorthanded LHE player starting to play some 6-max NL...in general, what kind of range do you 3-bet with PF? In LHE theres a wide range that I'd 3-bet with, but in NL I've only been doing this w/AA/KK/QQ, and that probably makes me to predictable. Is it standard to 3-bet AK? AQ? JJ and below? some 98s type suited connectors? This is at 100NL.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 PM

my 3 betting range consists of pretty much just AA most of the time.

its opponent dependent but preflop 3 bet usually means flop push.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM

up to nl2, very little
above that, your play should more closely resemble shorthanded limit than nl full ring