Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 09:04 PM

Default $5+.50 Stars Rebuy Noob Question

I have played quite a few MTTs in the past year, however I just recently started playing stars tournies where the stacks are MUCH deeper. The following hand came up with blinds of 200/400 and a small ante (50 I think ? not sure). We are still pretty far from the money at this point

Hero approx 20,000 in chips
SB approx 40,000
UTG+2 800

UTG+2 goes all in, I call in the CO with 66, SB calls, all others fold

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot 3000)

At this point there is no side pot

SB checks to me, I bet 2,000, SB checkraises to 11,000, I go all in

My question is how do you respond to the SBs huge check raise ? Is my play here appropriate ? The whole side pot issue confuses me.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: $5+.50 Stars Rebuy Noob Question

Pretty standard all around although an argument could certainly be made for raising pre-flop to isolate. But I like the call with the big stack in the SB.

Flop looks just fine. I'd be shocked if the SB had QQ or 99 as those hands would usually be raised pre-flop, especially given his stack. The size of his check-raise pot commits you so you might as well just raise and get them in right now.

So in short, you played fine IMO.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM

You played fine.

It's a mistake I think to give lower-limit players too much credit in side-pot situations. I've seen people bluff at dry side pots in smaller MTTs often. Not that you shouldn't be quicker to figure they have a hand, but it's not automatic IMO.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:48 PM

Plus, as soon as the hero puts money into the side pot, it's no longer dry and therefore the villain could be semi-bluffing with a drawing hand or just overplaying something like top pair.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 AM

Yea he had QQ, which is what i thought when he check raised that much. I considered folding for like 1 second than I remembered harrington's line from HOH about when set over set happens and just went all in. He easily could have held AQ or KQ here, or some sort of overpair. Anyways he played it like garbage pre flop.

thanks for the input