Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Most beatable: Limit vs. NL

Greetings,

I have been playing poker (online) for the past year or so. I've started w/ limit then moved to NL games (mostly on PP).

I have a great job that brings in good money, but my wife thinks that I play pretty good poker (I seem to be able to call WPT and WSOP games quite well). I also love the game.

Due to various reasons (job, family...) I can't spend more the 10hrs/week playing. So I would like to be able to choose the game type (limit/NL) that with practice I can make spending money for my wife [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (also things like vacation, paying off the car...).

Personaly I like NL games better and have been doing pretty good at them, but I noticed that for the same blinds that that I play at NL games ($25 & $50 games) the average pot sizes for limit game are somewhat/much higher.

I guess my basic question is: which one is more beatable the limit or NL games (low stakes only for now).

I appreciate your help.
-David
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Most beatable: Limit vs. NL

Both are beatable for a good amount at the low limits. Limit has more potential to get you the really big money, however.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:16 PM

Both games are very beatable. If you enjoy NL more, play NL. It also has the advantage of having lower variance (meaning that a winning NL player will encounter less and smaller losing streaks than a winning limit player).
Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both games are very beatable. If you enjoy NL more, play NL. It also has the advantage of having lower variance (meaning that a winning NL player will encounter less and smaller losing streaks than a winning limit player).

[/ QUOTE ]

Really. I figured it the other way. Because in NL you can go all in, you can loose a lot more then in limit.

I like NL because it takes more concentration, and you seem to be able to use your read to make money by value betting. I just wasn't sure that I was heading the right way...

-David
Old 08-30-2005, 08:27 PM

yes but if you get way down in limit it takes forever to get back up
Old 08-30-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really. I figured it the other way. Because in NL you can go all in, you can loose a lot more then in limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
In limit you are repeatedly in situations where you have odds to call or raise but aren't allowed to put in enough chips to push out your opponent, who then sucks out on you. Three or four of these before winning one can wipe out your buy-in.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:16 PM

I'm learning something every day. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured it the other way. Because in NL you can go all in, you can loose a lot more then in limit.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can, but you usually won't. If you are a good player playing against bad players, when the money goes all in, you will usually be a large favorite. So even though you can easily lose once or twice or three times, you are unlikely to have a really bad streak where you keep losing since you are such a large favorite in each situation where a lot of money goes in.

In limit, you really don't have this sort of situation. Since you can't bet much when you have a huge hand, a lot of the skill of the game is in being really good at pushing small edges. Putting your money in most of the time as only a small favorite is a situation where it is much easier to get unlucky for an extended period of time.