Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 09:57 PM

Default I know the rule, but was I right?

I was playing 10-20 at a B&M. I held A Q in bb. I raised preflop with 3 callers. Flop comes Ac Kc 7d. I bet, same 3 callers. Turn is 2d. I bet, 1 caller. River is 9c. Before I can do anything someone notes that the button player never called or folded. When the dealer sees this the button says I'm gonna fold anyway. The dealer is satisfied with this but I demanded that a supervisor be called. The sup came over and made the dealer reshuffle the 9c back in the deck. Now the river is a 4s. Obviously the man who would have made the flush was very upset. Was I right to invoke this rule. The rule states that if any card is exposed before all the action is complete the card must be reshuffled into the deck.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 PM

Default Re: I know the rule, but was I right?

It's a rule for a reason. The dealer shouldn't have let it happen in the first place. They're underpaid and under appreciated, they do make mistakes and rules like that protect you for it. Don't feel bad about hurting the guys feelings and taking his money. If it's really weighing on you, give him a bet back.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:17 PM

No offense, but I'd hardly call dealers "underpaid." Let's say the dealer averages $1 in tips every other hand, and is solid enough to get out 36 hands per hour. That's $18/hour in tips alone. Add to that his/her wage and your average dealer makes more per hour than your average RN.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:37 PM

Of course you were right. The rules are there for a reason.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:43 PM

No offense taken. -but seeing what they have to put up with, they earn every cent and then some. The fact is, too many poker players are jerks, and I would never want to have to put up with a lot of us. Just my take on it.
Ez
Old 11-30-2004, 06:45 AM

No argument about that part. They're sort of in the same boat as waiters and, to an extent, bartenders.

Underappreciated, sure.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 AM

You were in the right and your interests conflicted with the flushing guy. No problem. Look after number one.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:38 PM

The flush maker was upset, sure, but he had approximately the same odds of making his flush anyway. The problem was he already saw the club and claimed it as "his". He was incorrect to do so as that card should never have been dealt in the first place, due to the rules.

If it had been a card that might help YOU in some obvious way, the flush maker would likely have invoked the rule himself, so don't feel guilty about it.

The big blind may NOT have "folded anyway" had he not seen the 3rd flush card come off the deck. This is the reason for the rule and you acted appropriately.

good luck!

Lob
Old 11-30-2004, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The big blind may NOT have "folded anyway" had he not seen the 3rd flush card come off the deck. This is the reason for the rule and you acted appropriately.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, that isn't "the reason for the rule".

Logically it would make more sense for the 9c to remain as the river card after the button (who had not acted on the turn) elected to fold. That would strictly be fairest to all players.

However, floor staff would get confused more often if the rule provided that sometimes a wrongly dealt card gets reshuffled and sometimes it remains on board. Therefore "the reason for the rule" is simplicity.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:15 AM

If the turn action was never completed then the river never came. I really don't care about fate or destiny of a shuffle 'cuz before the river is dealt it is merely a probability.
Turn play is based on this probability and therefore the clubs draw guy was probably (still) correct to call the turn, but unfortunately he missed his river (though he was upset because he thought he hit it i guess).
Umm, in the long run then if he runs into a hundred situations exactly like this, he's going to come out ahead. Therefore a good poker player would be satisfied with his play here. This man is obviously not an accomplished player if he's upset about losing a pot that he WILL LOSE MOST OF THE TIME. Don't waste your time worrying about some angry old man who dosen't understand the fundamentals.