Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Learning to play by playing free games

I have been playing for free online for a few weeks now. I am trying to learn the game there, so obviously not to lose real money. My objective is to get fairly good, then start to play for real. I think that the only way to play and learn is to play as if it were real money. I am running into people who make bets that are ridiculous because it isn't real money. I also run into people who play as one might play in a tournament (or at different stages of a tournament). I have started to adjust the tables I choose based on % of players seeing the flop and average pot sizes. But, this obvioulsy changes as the players come and go. My main question is how can I learn the game with players coming and going making stupid bets like all in before the flop. At least I think it is stupid to go all in before the flop most of the time. Do I need to understand the game better? Do I need to wait these people out more or leave the table? Or can I ever learn the game on fake tables?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Learning to play by playing free games

You cannot learn the game on fake tables. Period. If you can spare $25 stick it into Pacific or a site like that with mini micro limits (.05/.10). Take advantage of the people that come along and treat those levels like play money and build you bank roll to .10/.20 (at around the $60 mark)and work from there. Small investment and plenty of learning at loose tables, but not quite as ridiculous as the free money tables. I will discount the .01/.02 because they play too much like free tables.

And of course, read books if you can, otherwise follow alot of the great advice here and study the hands people post. Very informative.

Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Thank you Clemtown for your response and suggestions. My head feels better already from no longer pounding it against table. I did think (sometimes)thatI was about the only one on these tables not getting it. Your answers verifies to me that although I have a long way to go, at least I am not an idiot.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:18 PM

If playing money is not an option look at some of the
smaller sites and a few of the larger sites. You can
find freeroll tourneys that put up cash prizes. You will still see the wild play but at least when they bust
out their gone. Try to finish deeper in tourneys as you play
more of them. The play tables are bad,you have two types
of players. A few who are trying to learn and the rest
could care less they just want to racehorse every hand,and if
they bust out so what.
Also look for some play sit-n-go tourneys where you can
get some practice playing short handed.
And as Clem said get some books and read this site,do a
search on this site and you can find all kinds of posts
on books to think about getting.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:34 PM

Thank you froggy, for your reponse. I was wondering that too. If free tourneys would help? I think I will do just that try tourneys for a bit then proceed to what Clem suggests. Yes, I already have a few books I am delving into. I just found this site last nite. I can tell already, it has a wealth of information for me to learn. Thanks again to both of you.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:35 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Bull

[ QUOTE ]
You cannot learn the game on fake tables. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Period? You can learn to play that texture which does come up at times on LL tables. Even LL live games. Around here 3-6 or lower can be as wild as fake money games. Will it help you in slightly tougher games? No, not as far as adjusting, but it will help you get used to being beat repeatedly by crap. If you can't beat a fake money table, you're not going to beat a money table. It can also help in developing discipline in not playing based on the 'limit'. The limit, whether real money or free, doesn't matter.

Shorthanded fake tables, 6 max or less, are a good way to get used to s/h games. I learned alot playing those to where i was very comfortable when playing s/h live against the avg. player. They can play very similar to real games.

I will agree though that you may as well play the penny tables and maybe gain something monetary when you play. Even if it's only a small bit of couch change. Which could help as incentive.

[ QUOTE ]
I will discount the .01/.02 because they play too much like free tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great limit to start a roll at if one is beginning/learning. There is great satisfaction in building a roll from pennies. I wouldn't do it again. Though, I've said that before. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But you can learn alot starting there.

If one is starting out, they shouldn't really be worrying about a bankroll. They need to make sure they can beat even an easy game before considering a serious roll. Learn 1 texture at a time. If it's 10 to the flop capped for free, it's not always a bad place to start there.

b
Old 11-05-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Bull

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, okay, perhaps that was a bit strong. That said, RJT has already been playing them for 3 weeks, isn't that enough torture?

Like all questions posed here RJT, balance the straightforward, opinionated ones like mine with the sensible and experienced advice of those like bernie... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2004, 11:47 PM

I understand what all of you are saying. Love your "torture" comment, Clem.
Playing fake has helped quite a bit to learn the basics. I do fairly well when I bunker down and keep my discipline.
Since I posted earlier today, I bought a simulated tournament computer game. Popped it in and finished 6th of 40 set on low level. Helped my confidence. Then bumped it up to moderate level finished middle and towards back of list. This confirmed pretty much where I figured to be thus far.
Seems like it is going to help practice, too.Computer program was $20 at Best Buy or the like. (If any other beginners are interested.)
I plan to use this for a spell, fake tourneys, and fake play. Probably jump in to real soon, depending on my schedule. Bouncing around each while honing my skills as time fits; now that I learned/confirmed the context of each. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:56 PM

Where do you find short-handed play money tables?
Old 11-06-2004, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RJT,
I agree this was an overstatment. I think that much of the game can be learned on play money tables. You're already trying to pratice good table selection. Once you get on that table play good poker. If players are playing wildly then you need to pratice patience and wait for that hand to bust them. You can still work on putting people on hands. You can still make sure that you are making the correct plays (call, fold, raise, check, check raise) for the situation others on the tale are creating.

As previously stated the micro limit games offer a little more of a "real" table feel, but it still is not much. Spending time on the forums here and reading up are both good suggestions. You can learn from the play money tables if you take the correct approach. Don't let the results of freeroll tourneys and total play chips discourage you. Your play money bankroll will take big swings but just play each hand the best you can and post them when you have questions. We'll help you out. Stick with it and good luck.

Cheers,

deacsoft