Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Live losing streaks

Point taken. I was responding to a brash, arrogant and faulty response, but I didn't have any excuse to behave the same way.

I have no knowledge of his poker skill or leaks, but I'm 100% sure that if any genius attacks 8 limit tables with a 300 BB bankroll, he is destined to blow up. While his EV rate per table may (very big if) hold, his SD will be 2.83 times higher, requiring a much bigger bankroll.

No wonder the British lost the Empire. (I couln't resist).
Old 06-05-2004, 08:17 PM

You are wrong. Very very wrong. IT'S SD PER 100 HANDS. You don't need to have a higher bankroll because you are multitabling. The only reason to maybe have a higher bankroll is so you always have enough money on each table.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:31 AM

OK. My mistake. Please increase to 12 tables to speed your recovery.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:46 AM

Being wrong twice and looking like an idiot twice isn't enough for you is it?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:59 AM

Another idiot heard from.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:07 AM

I read and respect your posts, I think we've also sat together and I respect your play. It sounds to me like you have been hit with a ridiculous run of tough cards. My advice is to continue pressing at the 15 if the bankroll allows it and then drop down when you no longer have 200-300 BB for the 15.... (I'm assuming as low as 200 is ok if you are willing to drop in stakes...)

this way you give yourself the best chance at maximizing wins given your expectation, while still minimizing ROR by being willing to drop down.

Also, I'm assuming you get a rake rebate? you certainly should - david ross is my affiliate and that percentage of rake back adds nicely to the earn.

Let me know if you'd like to exchange a few hand histories - also Orange heat is a very very good player, and he shared with me last night that he is winning 4% of his hands over the last 15k. YUCK!

best,
nick.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:13 PM

I'm winning about 6% yet it's the big pots that are swinging the wrong way. The losing streak seems to be doing everything it can do kill me, improving my hand when drawing dead, not improving in big pots, improving their hands in big pots, i could go on, but it's boring.

I'm getting 20% of my rake back, which gives me more than min wage per year even if i breakeven.

ATM i'm on a crash course. Since 10/20 6m has a huge variance stopping at $6k is pointless, so i'm playing up untill i hit $4k then switching to 5/10 6m. After breaking even over 1500 hands last night and having two big pots rivered away today it shouldn't take long to be at 5/10 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:23 PM

I am there officially today.... BR is too short for comfort.....Last 15,000 hands I went from a 3BB/100 winner (over 120K hands) too a -1.6 BB/100 loser....I have never seen a run like this before.

Time for 5/10 for awhile. I would fund it back up for the 15 but I spent a lot on the new house and I will have to wait until it closes to move funds....stupid anti-terror money laundering laws. Thats ok my brain could use the break.

GL,

Orange
Old 06-06-2004, 09:04 PM

Not a long time poster, but in just over 2 years of playing live 5 days a week, each and every week, my worst was when I lost my first 200BB bankroll. I wasn't as good as I thought I was, and ended up losing 32 of 34 days over a two month period. Bad thing was, that I didn't have any horrible 50BB+ days, rather it was just a constant and slow bleed.

I took 2 full months off and really read up and thought about my game, focusing on plugging some leaks. I was able to come back with a 500BB Bankroll and have steadily built that up to about 800BB over the last few months(I've only been putting about 25% of my winnings back into the BR). It has allowed me to weather my most recent streak over 4 weeks in late March and April where I won twice in 4 weeks. Fortunately it turned for me and I haven't had a losing week since mid April. (Although my $6 profit this last week was pretty sad!!) [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

King
Old 06-06-2004, 09:44 PM

hey jay, sounds like you're running real bad and that sucks. when I'm running bad I play shorter sessions and write angst ridden songs. you play guitar, right? write some angst ridden songs in d minor, the saddest of all keys (lol).

also, make sure you're not paying off too much and stuff. a lot of times when I'm running bad I make it worse by calling when I know I am beat. obviously you don't want to overdo it.

good luck and keep your chin up. take a trip to amsterdam to recharge or something. sometimes taking time away from something can give you a new perspective, which can be a very good thing. when I was younger, I thought all my problems in music would go away if I could just practice another couple of hours. sometimes there's more to it than just working harder.

--turnipmonster