Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 05:39 AM

Default Heads up river value raise with nth nut flush

It's heads up. The table was super juicy just a few hands ago but a superfish has just left after blowing $1100 in about 20 minutes, and several semi-fish who were there to profit have followed him out the door. I'm going to leave soon too. The remaining player is considerably too LAG for a 6-max game but his style works reasonably well heads up. He's flopped strongly a couple hands in a row and has gotten some of my money.

I get 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the BB. My opponent limps in on the SB and I raise; he calls.

The flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet, he raises (this could be either a pair, a club draw, or both), and I 3-bet. He calls.

The turn comes a blank - the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] He now bets out and I call.

The river brings the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He bets and I raise.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Heads up river value raise with nth nut flush

[ QUOTE ]
(this could be either a pair, a club draw, or both), and I 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a really good way to get money in with the worst of it.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:43 AM

the fact that he bets out the turn, makes it seem like hes worried you drawing for a flush. It also makes it very likely he is thus protecting a non-flushdraw good hand. Better than a 66 that is but you're getting the odds so a call is warranted. Raising the river? mmmmmmmmmm, in personal experience im often just happy to catch and call, but i do see reasons to raise for sure, since he is gonna call cursing with worse hands. And its not that crystalclear yet you are holding a club so far, so the chance of him valuebetting/semi-stabbing with non-clubs doesn't seem that unlikely. Flopplay i don't fully get. I mean, i figure you 3-bet mainly to get your freecard or did you have reasons not to believe his checkraise? i'd like some insight on that.

Normally i guess this wouldn't be my line of play (certainly too chicken to raise the river) but i think i can follow some of it. Some elaboration on your part would be nice though.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that he bets out the turn, makes it seem like hes worried you drawing for a flush. It also makes it very likely he is thus protecting a non-flushdraw good hand. Better than a 66 that is but you're getting the odds so a call is warranted. Raising the river? mmmmmmmmmm, in personal experience im often just happy to catch and call, but i do see reasons to raise for sure, since he is gonna call cursing with worse hands. And its not that crystalclear yet you are holding a club so far, so the chance of him valuebetting/semi-stabbing with non-clubs doesn't seem that unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's the key thing: it seemed clear to me that at least one of his hole cards had matched one of the three cards on the board on the flop (e.g. he had a pair). If that's the case, we can rule out one of his cards from being a club. The other card will be a club only 1/4 of the time.... less than that, in fact, since I don't think that he takes this stop-and-go line with a club in his hand. He's adopted a line that indicates he's afraid of a free card.

He was aggressive enough that I didn't think he needed a club to bet the river, and because it was heads up, I was pretty sure that he'd call the raise with anything other than a complete bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
Flopplay i don't fully get. I mean, i figure you 3-bet mainly to get your freecard or did you have reasons not to believe his checkraise? i'd like some insight on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was a tricky spot. There was a chance that I had the best hand right there and he was semi-bluffing with a draw; there was a chance that he was ahead but I had the best draw; there was a chance that I was drawing almost dead - that would suck - and finally there was a chance that he was bluffing completely (or with something like a straight draw). In any event, my plan was to 3-bet the flop *and then check the turn through regardless of which card came off*, unless it was a 6.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:26 PM

So let me get this right. You 3 bet the flop because there's a chance you are drawing dead and a chance you are a small favourite but also you 3 bet the flop to give him a free card on the turn just incase he was drawing?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this right. You 3 bet the flop because there's a chance you are drawing dead and a chance you are a small favourite but also you 3 bet the flop to give him a free card on the turn just incase he was drawing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea was to get to the showdown cheaply.