Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: How much $ per day for you to turn pro?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

People who are talking about needing US$100K to 200K to replace a US$50K annual salary are indicating that they have absurdly high risk premiums. Which strikes me as bizarre, considering that we're all here to discuss poker. Hello! We're gamblers, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a gambler when I play poker, not when I manage my money (oh ok, just a little bit but its with a little percentage of it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I am most definitely not a gambler. I don't play blackjack, slots, or anything else because I know it's essentally -EV. I'm very conservative with money. I do happen to be good and math and very good at games.

Poker money doesn't touch real money except for cashouts. I ever lose my bankroll, I'm done for life.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 PM

I gave it a shot at just over $100/day @ 6 hour days 6 months after learning that a flush beats a straight.

I was 19 at the time though so that's more then any job I'd be working + the benefits are priceless...always have a plan B and C though that's why i'm part timing school...and if I'm not making around 100k+/yr by the time I'm 22 I'll be dropping it.

but yeah...if you're young enough with no dependants definitly give it a shot if you love the game and are a consistent winner, never be satisfied by how much you're making and how good your game is though.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 PM

Maybe this is cross-posted, but why is this in the psychology forum? Maybe this is a risk aversion post or something. I dunno.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To make up for having to pay one's own medical benefits, self-employment tax, etc.,

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, not only do we have no tax on gambling winnings, but we also have a national health service [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 07:33 PM

If I could guarantee making 150 per day for the next 10 years, I would happily do it, I don't hate my job.

Mack
Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: what it takes to be a pro- skill, discipline, stamina, passion

[ QUOTE ]
To be blunt, a career in poker is stressful...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not if you have already have a long record of winning and a large enough bankroll. Most normal jobs are more stressful.

[ QUOTE ]
...unstable...

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you mean. If you know you are a winning player, you don't have to worry about not making money. Unstable in the sense that the games may not always be there... yes, but it will be years until this happens.

I agree that a lifelong career in poker could be tough and it's probably something that just a small group of people would be interested in.

[ QUOTE ]
...unhealthy...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, why? As a poker pro I am able to spend less time in front of the computer than I was able to do when working a normal job. Whether it is unhealthy or not is completely up to yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
...and socially isolating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, completely up to you. Play 5 hours day, go out and meet people the rest of your time.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: what it takes to be a pro- skill, discipline, stamina, passion

I agree with you competely D. H.

Some people will grind out a living at 3/6 working 12 hours a day on a meagre bankroll, tilt and be constantly on the edge of going bust.

There are others who work 30hrs a week earning enough money to set themselves up for a long time, seem relaxed and love what they do.

It's a slightly more complex situation than just saying "poker is.....". It depends.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, not only do we have no tax on gambling winnings, but we also have a national health service [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to be Canadian dammit [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] And I'm in upstate New York. So close, yet so far away.

--Scott
Old 12-02-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to be Canadian dammit [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] And I'm in upstate New York. So close, yet so far away.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Canada, but it's not all roses here in the UK. The weather sucks, housing costs are outrageous, in fact everything is bloody expensive, everyone is depressed & rude and there's too many people, plus we all have bad teeth.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:47 AM

I figure it this way.

My salary is ~$70,000. Adding 20% for benefits gives $84,000. To switch I would wand a raise, so add 15% to that for $96,600/year.

I currently have 17 paid days off, which is 3.4 weeks off. Round up to 4 weeks off, or 48 weeks working.

With commute time I average 52.5 hours/week, would want to work less, say 48 hours/week.

$96,600/48 weeks/48 hours = $42/hour minimum needed playing poker to make the switch.