Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2005, 11:26 AM

Default What to do with all this chips?

I play thight early, but sometimes I get AA and KK and win alot of chips. Say you have 1600+ early in the tournement. How do you change your strategy to maximize the advantage of this? Do you loose up and try to steal alot? Or do you still wait for good cards and blind away your stack untill you get a good all in steal situation?

I usually do the later and can now wait to make my moves untill the blinds are 100/200 instead of 50/100, that usually is critical if you dont get any cards.
But I read at this forum that some people think that you should limp with small PP in the 50+ sngs, so I thought that it maybe would be correct to loose up a bit.

/Johan
Old 03-20-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: What to do with all this chips?

T1600 compared to how many starting chips?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:23 PM

[Assuming T800 to start]

I think the idea of playing tight in the early going is a function of BB size. I would just continue the normal strategy (tight) for the first three levels. Any time the field gets down to 6 or fewer, it might be time to modify this, however.

At this stage, losing t500 will hurt your chances more than gaining t500 will enhance them.

Caution: Just a beginner's opinion.

GG
Old 03-20-2005, 06:40 PM

800 Chips may as well be 1600 for me, I play almost exactly the same, with one difference. If i'm BB and everyone but the SB folds (SB just calls) i'll raise 3x BB almost automatically. Even if they call you've got them by the balls no matter what flops, but it can easily backfire if they don't fear your chip stack.

The real function of chips is to give you more time. When blinds get to 100/200 you can still afford to muck ATs if you think it's best if someone raises in front of you, not something you can do with 600 chips left. Conversely, when you get AA and raise, those poor people with small stacks and KQo will be hard pressed to get out of your way.

I'd stick with what you're doing.