Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: ($33) -ROI help continued: Too many 4ths?

Of course yeah, goes without saying.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its obvious because your goal is to come in THIRD PLACE!!! not first, but third. Unless the situation drastically changes that should remain your goal. Once you are in third place then you can readjust but for now you are shooting for 3rd place due to the chip distributions. Unless you have an absurdly +EV situation, you are content to just wait things out and finish in the top 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you might get 2nd yet - SB's stack is the same as yours [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You won't be getting 2nd or 3rd by pissing about with KQo here though.. that's for definite. I wouldn't even call here with AKo. Well hmm I might but play it very very passively.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that moving allin with AKo preflop is correct unless the big stack is a psycho of some sort. If you think the big stack will call you a lot, then you should even fold AKo here. Most players arent calling 1200 chips without a good hand though.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:31 AM

Like the others have said, calling biggies preflop raise is bad. I don't mind your limp though.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:57 AM

Thanks guys.

FWIW, bigstack turned over 54s and made a boat with 5 on the river.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:10 AM

and BB was very grateful!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:13 AM

Heh I actually read the action wrong at first and somehow thought you'd called the preflop raise in your own blind, thus my comments on AK. With AK I'd push here, as curtains said, "most" of the time. I think the limp is good if the big stack is prone to folding to the BB or what have you with KQ but you must fold to the raise.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:11 PM

I hate your limp utg and calling of the raise.
You don't need to gang up on BB, I imagine SB will be attempting to knock him out large portion of the time.

By the time I get to the turn I end up going broke.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:32 PM

Everyone has already addressed the problems with that particular hand. More generally...

[ QUOTE ]
Button is very very LAG....I tend to play aggressively with any kind of hand against this type of player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't sound good. LAG (loose-aggressive) and "any kind" are sufficiently vague that I don't want to say it is flat out horrible. LAGs will generally pay you off when you hit a hand. There is no need to play aggressively before you hit it. They will either push you off when you miss, or pride will fc with you and you will lose a lot of chips with missed overcards, while they paired up with 72o.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:42 PM

I'm hardly an expert, but there's no way I'd even limp here, and certainly wouldn't call a raise. If the button has any experience at all, he's going to use that big stack to bully people around. He will almost certainly raise whether you limp or not, forcing BB to call all-in or give up his blind.

All you have to do is stay out of the way another couple of orbits, and unless the short stack gets lucky and doubles up, you're in the money. Let the big stack do the work for you. If he won't, the next guy surely will.

Once you have third locked up you can go for first. Winning first makes your bankroll go up quickly when you hit it, but just winning third nearly every time would give you a fully-funded retirement plan.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:30 PM

Jesus 4 handed on level 4 in a $30? Wow.

I actually like the limp here, especially if the big stack is aggro. If he makes his standard raise, often times the shorty will find a fold, but the key is you must also fold here. Those 100 chips are much more valuable to the shorty than you, and limping here is the best way for him to lose them, imo.

So am I spewing chips thinking this?