Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Shorthanded 5/10 - pair becomes a draw

Is this all standard.

I thought that the raise on fifth was compulsory, but that there was no point in betting sixth, because I'm almost certainly behind, and he isn't folding, although I had plenty of outs.

Anyone going to tell me to fold third?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.30 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (3.30 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.15 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (7.15 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River - (7.15 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (11.15 BB)
Old 11-23-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Shorthanded 5/10 - pair becomes a draw

All fine, except I woulda got that extra bet in on sixth I think. If he doesnt have much he may let it go, to raise fifth you had two pair or better, so either you have a flush or a house now, in my mind anyways. Then again you won the extra bet on the end, so all is good. Dont think folding third is correct, your pair is buried so you have high implied odds if you do hit your six.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM

Simon - I'm still thinking about this one. I think it's quite interesting. I think all streets (except the river) are worthy of discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
to raise fifth you had two pair or better, so either you have a flush or a house now, in my mind anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM

I'd be very wary about folding any pair on 3rd St. (with the possible exception of when my pair and/or kicker cards are dead or semi-dead in the other 2 hands) in a 3-handed stud game, since way more times than not you have the best hand here at this point. The fact that the pair is concealed at this point just makes it even better to play. If you hit a 6, there is the potential for massive rape and carnage before someone who hits their premium pair later suspects that they are, in fact, toast. In fact, I probably would've brought it in for the full amount here to try to get one of the higher upcards out. If I just get the antes, that's fine with me with 66x.

The rest looks fine. You have a good draw to beat villain even if you're behind, so I like the raise with the concealed pair and 4-flush on 5th St. I probably check on 6th here as well and try to hit my diamond on 7th, although if the player is at all aggressive I'm probably reluctantly paying him off on 7th St. even if I don't hit the flush. nh.

--Scott
Old 11-23-2005, 07:40 PM

I don't understand checking 6th and calling a river bet.