Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Foxwoods WPT and Pot Odds

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here for the past 6 months. A long time reader, first time poster. I placed in an ACT 3 tournament last night at Foxwoods for entry into the main event. I turned $450 in $10,200 so I am quite happy.

Toro, I watched the seniors event during the breaks. Nice work.

I have one question that has been bugging me. In a tournament, I often make decisions based purely on pot odds. For example, if I am on the big blind and someone pushes all in, I will call if I am given the correct odds. Recently I was given 2.2 to 1 and 2.8 to 1. Both times I had Q8. The first hand he had 66, it was a race and I lost. The second, he had k5, I was a 40% dog and lost again.

If you have a medium/small stack and calling in these situations will cost you a good amount of your chips, say 25-50%. Do you always call, or do you wait for hand that you know you will be a favorite.

I'll see everyone at Foxwoods...

kinger
Old 10-29-2004, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods WPT and Pot Odds

Sorry you're not getting any answers to your query but it's hard to give a good helpful answer to such a general situation/question.

Try to post a specific hand from an actual tourney with stack sizes, blinds etc and I'm sure someone(not me because I tend to play more by the seat of pants)here will be able to give you a good analytical answer.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:39 PM

Hey kinger,

I have a question about those ACT satellites. I'm coming down to play the $565 NL on THursday the 11th, and play as many sats as I can on Wednesday and Friday for the Main event. How do those ACT's work? I don't really want to play single table sats, I'm hoping there are some where the top x% get seats, are those the ACT's?
Old 10-29-2004, 08:54 PM

David, I'll jump in if you don't mind. To qualify for the WPT tourney you need to finish in the top 10% in an Act III which is essentially a super satellite. Say there are 79 entries. They would give out 7 seats and 9 consolation prizes consisting of re-entry into the next Act III.

To play in an Act III you can buy-in directly for $1000+ or you can win your way in by winning an Act II. Act II's are single table sats that cost $150 to enter or you can win your way into an Act II by winning an Act I.

Act I's are single table sats that cost $60 to enter and the top 3 get free entry into the Act II's. Sounds a little complicated but once you're down there you'll find it isn't.

Even though finishing in top 3 in the Act I's s relatively easy, I would skip the Act I and buy-in directly to the Act II unless you're on a real tight budget.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:01 PM

Thanks for answering, How many times a day are they running Act III's. I've budgeted around 3K for sats so I may just try and play 3 of those.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 PM

One every day at 6:00 P.M., I believe. If you enter 3, I'm sure you'll get a seat in the WPT because the level of play is not difficult.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:28 PM

david,

i did exactly what toro said. i skipped the act 1 because you are investing $60 to make $150. Although it is a virtual lock, i did not have the 1-2 hrs to spend on that. The act 2 costs $150 to enter and first wins an entry to act 3, the $1000 tournament. 2nd and 3rd win another shot at winning an act 2.

i played in 2 act 3's. In the first i lost on the bubble and won another buyin to an act 3.

i agree with toro, the competition is weak. I am a fairly new player and placed high in both act 3's. I suspect that will change quickly. As the main event draws closer, i suspect that the pros will use the act 3's to win entry. This is why i tried to win it before they showed up.

kinger
Old 10-30-2004, 12:23 AM

If I am getting sufficient pot odds for my hand, I call. I don't worry about the consequences, even if I am the one being put allin. You have to exploit small advantages to win.