Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2003, 04:06 PM

Default Perfect played set?

4-8$ 4handed game on Poker In Europe with a check-calling fish on my right who often folds on the river and never bluffs. A dream-opponent!

Im in big blind with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button (a strong player) open-raises. Fish calls and so do I.

Flop comes: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Check-Check-Bet.
Fish calls and i C/R.

Button drops but fish calls.
Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Check, I bet, he calls

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] making 4 clubs on the board. Fish in Sb checks again. I bet for value.

Who bets for value, who waits for turn to put in a raise? Anyone consider betting out the flop?
Old 07-25-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Perfect played set?

Since he's a fish, I would bet for value.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:25 PM

Who bets for value?
Since you said he often folds the river I think he will likely drop anything short of trips (which would shock me if had). He is thus only likely to call with a better hand and thus I'd check-behind here. I think the "value" bet is -EV.

who waits for turn to put in a raise?
Not I. I want to make anyone on the flush draw pays for it now.

Anyone consider betting out the flop?
For the reason above, I like betting the flop unless the button will nearly always bet here (raised pre-flopped, checked to on the flop).

One other comment on the pre-flop play:
With the button being a strong player I'd concider putting him on a steal here and reraise then lead the flop. I don't like the call as you don't have pot odds on making trips. Either take control by raising allowing for a flop bluff or fold. I think just calling the raise is the worst of the options.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:01 AM

Default I am correct preflop here, huh?

[ QUOTE ]

One other comment on the pre-flop play:
With the button being a strong player I'd concider putting him on a steal here and reraise then lead the flop. I don't like the call as you don't have pot odds on making trips. Either take control by raising allowing for a flop bluff or fold. I think just calling the raise is the worst of the options.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling is the best option. I actually dont consider any other options at all. I sure have the potodds IMO. I´m getting 5-1 to flop my set. and I think I am very likely to get another 6+ small bets when I flop a set.

If I reraise and the flop comes: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Do you keep on betting? You know that the fish will call with almost anything. You also bet the turn? And call a river-bet? hmm... No, preflop call is far superior!
Old 08-10-2003, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not I. I want to make anyone on the flush draw pays for it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone has a 4 flush, they are going to stay to see river...I think it is a better idea to wait till the turn. You make them 'pay for it' more. If another club hits, you can then adjust your play. You may wish you hadn't put in extra bets on the flop when the 3rd club hits the board. This way you save bets when someone has made a flush, and you gain more when they don't.

-ropey
Old 08-10-2003, 01:24 PM

However, if you don't think you will get a bet out of the agressor on the turn, then you should go ahead and raise on flop.

-ropey