Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-08-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Wynn 4/8 66 Hand

Wynn 4/8 game. I started playing at like 7AM and ended up unexpectedly in a game full of drunk 2p2ers and drunk locals who played ok. The only real action on the table is an English guy who is sensitive about his cufflinks.

I limp 66 UTG +1 or something.

"Pyramid" calls, he's a local who apparently plays the 15, but was bored and playing 4/8 with a 1K rack that he'd nicely stacked.

An older Asian guy who looks like a fish (not a bad card player, but like, an animal that swims) calls.

The flop comes 969.

I check, Pyramid bets, Fish calls, I call.

Turn is a T, gets checked through. I cry.

River is an Ace.

I bet, Pyramid folds, Fish raises, I 3-bet, He 4-bets, there's no cap here, how far do you go.

I don't know much about the guy. A9 and T9 and TT are possible, AA probably isn't. Absent a read, beyond just "random guy playing at the Wynn on 7AM on a Monday", what's the move here?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Wynn 4/8 66 Hand

5 and call a 6. I really strongly disagree with your flop and turn play, though.

Rob
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 PM

This was the first time I took that line all weekend with a flopped boat. Most of the time I was playing hands like this very straight forward and just leading. Against this lineup I felt like I could try mix it up a bit.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:30 PM

Betting is underrated.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:41 PM

Best thing about leading is knowing bets are going in the pot.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Stop talking about the flop line. I want to talk the river. I know how to play a [censored] flop. In this spot, this time, I decided to play it differently. Such is life.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop talking about the flop line. I want to talk the river. I know how to play a [censored] flop. In this spot, this time, I decided to play it differently. Such is life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You made the river much tougher to play with your weird line. I'd say 9T A9 are pretty reasonable holdings given the previous action but since he met no resistance it's tough to put him on aything solid. I'd probably put in one more raise in the hopes that he's getting frisky with his HUGE stack and a naked 9. If he raises it up again I'm done raising and call.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 PM

Huge stack doesn't raise, Fish does.

The flop line isn't "weird". It's just not as profitable as leading out most times.

The reason I don't want to get into the flop is simply because the lines I take there are always a byproduct of sitting at a table and my judgements of the players. It's hard to exactly explain everything that I'm using to make my decisions.

This was a pretty horrible (but very fun) 4/8 game, seeing as how there were 4 2p2ers, a 15/30 guy who might have been a pro and at least one other local who had a clue. It wasn't a lineup that you'd expect at a low limit table where you just value bet, value bet, value bet.

Mostly I'm just wondering from people who are likely to know, how much action is this standard Vegas player in this game giving with a naked 9. My thought is that based on what I've heard from other people, the answer is likely "a lot".
Old 11-08-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much action is this standard Vegas player in this game giving with a naked 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a standard Vegas player, from what I saw, makes it a lot of bets here. I saw a lot of weird [censored] this weekend though, especially at the 4/8 games when I played initially, and I'd say I saw enough weird [censored] to warrant the extra action. I think it's pretty close though.

Rob
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM

First I'd like to say: Geez, you are grumpy! You may not care what other people think of your flop play, but a lot of people here like to discuss everything. It makes everyone better when there is discussion. So deal with it or don't post stuff you don't want discussed.

Now, as to the river... I'd ask myself two questions... how greedy am I and how much of a chance is there he is holding A9 or 99 and slowplayed it? After answering these questions, I'd base my play on the answers. In this situation, it is obviously going until someone is allin, so are you that confident in this hand to go allin? I'm not, so I'll probably raise one more time then call. That's a nice pot if I'm ahead. If not, I didn't blow my stack on it.