Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 AM

Default How to keep poker seprate from life?

Like many winning players I've worked hard not to let the cards during any session, good or bad, affect my play. I however have another common psycological affliction that occasionally rears its head. When I'm running bad for a streach and my bankroll is shrinking as happens to all players occasionally my mood away from the poker table becomes more dour. Since I'm a generally happy person I abhor feeling this way and am forced to take a few days off from playing. How do some of the other pro and semi-pro players deal with this aspect of the game?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: How to keep poker seperate from life?

by making poker part of their life rather than keeping it seperate?

Really, if you, like most of us, are recreational but studious players, take time off when you get grumpy. You have nothing to prove/lose.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 03-31-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: How to keep poker seperate from life?

[ QUOTE ]
by making poker part of their life rather than keeping it seperate?

Really, if you, like most of us, are recreational but studious players, take time off when you get grumpy. You have nothing to prove/lose.

Regards,
Pete Harris

[/ QUOTE ]

I too find it is tough not to let it affect your moods, good or bad sometimes.

So great reply Pete. Thank you. I was just thinking a lot about this same issue recently.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: How to keep poker seprate from life?

i dont think you can ever really eliminate it. the desire to win drives all of us...all you can do is keep it from forcing you to make bad decisions. just take time off and think about something else while you regain perspective.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:05 PM

I also find it hard to keep in a good mood when I am going through a big downswing, Up to about 50-70BB I'm fine but after that I have problems with it affecting my life but I am working on improving that.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like many winning players I've worked hard not to let the cards during any session, good or bad, affect my play. I however have another common psycological affliction that occasionally rears its head. When I'm running bad for a streach and my bankroll is shrinking as happens to all players occasionally my mood away from the poker table becomes more dour. Since I'm a generally happy person I abhor feeling this way and am forced to take a few days off from playing. How do some of the other pro and semi-pro players deal with this aspect of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

A while ago I was having a stressful time at my job and I was carrying my job stress around with me. I solved the problem by at quitting time imagining myself taking my stress and worries and putting them in one of my desk draws and closing the draw. Then I would get up and leave them there. After a while it became second nature and now I don't even think about it.

Seems silly but it worked for me.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:44 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. How you may feel a little bit elated after a big win is perfectly normal because you've done well and had good results. The same is true for a trial lawyer, who goes to work and wins his case. The professions are different although both groups strive to 'win'. It's normal to feel a little down after a loss or two or twenty but the important thing is to make sure your priorities are straight and enjoy time away from poker as much as possible. treat poker as your vocation not your avocation.

If you still feel down away from the tables because of your play, then look back at each session and see what things you did right and/or wrong. make sure that you go over your mistakes and keep reminding yourself that playing your 'A' game all the time is what really matters, not how much you win or lose.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do some of the other pro and semi-pro players deal with this aspect of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I log the session results and I'm done for the day.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:49 AM

If poker or poker money means anything to you, it's hard to keep it separate just as it's hard to keep having a bad week at a "real job" weigh on you.

The playing well part or not aside, if the money part is the main thing, there is one easy solution to not having a bad day after losing: Big Bankroll.