Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Greatest movie/TV Poker Scene of All Time. . .

It's got to be The Sting, the scene on the train, when Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) beats Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw) with four jacks over four nines. That entire scene on the train is classic.

Come to think of it, The Sting could be the greatest gmbling/gaff/hustler movie of all time.

TSP
Old 09-13-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Greatest movie/TV Poker Scene of All Time. . .

[ QUOTE ]
Come to think of it, The Sting could be the greatest gmbling/gaff/hustler movie of all time

[/ QUOTE ] could be??? No, IS the best gambling movie of all time.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:01 PM

ok so now im going to rent the sting at netflix if it sucks though im gonna find you and slit your throat.

just ask the guy who told me i should watch shade.

oh if you like con movies (w/ nice poker scene at start) then nobody should miss house of games. that movie kicks serious ass.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so now im going to rent the sting at netflix if it sucks though im gonna find you and slit your throat

[/ QUOTE ] If you don't like The Sting, you should slit your own throat and leave the rest of us alone.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:09 PM

Default ok, mike . . .

If you don't honestly like The Sting, then let me know. I will personally refund your money from the rental store.

It so good, you wont even be able to say you didnt like it just to gaff the TSP.

BTW, it causes me serious concern that there may be other well-respected 2+2 posters that have not seen this movie. It should be a prerequisite.

TSP
Old 09-13-2004, 04:28 PM

I don't remember the name of the movie or even what it was about, but I remember the poker scene. I believe it was an old western. Anyhow, the scene goes something like this. A woman and a man are playing heads up 5 stud with a deck that included a joker. In an earlier hand the man bends the corner of an A. The final hand comes down and the woman has 4 to a straight flush on board, but her hole card is the card with the bent corner and the A completes her flush. The man has either a full house or 4 of a kind, can't remember. Well, his hand is obviously good because she has only a flush. They get all the money in and when she turns her hand over, the bent card is the joker which is wild making her a straight flush. I always liked that scene because the woman out cheated the cheater.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:40 PM

Old western, "Big hand for the little lady", I think is the title. NL 5 card draw, woman takes over for husband who is "ill", she knows nothing about poker, shows someone her hand they tell her it is unbeatable. Very large pot, she needs additional funds to make a call and a large raise, so she goes to Banker who is very conservative for a loan, he comes to game and agrees to loan with cards as collateral. Opponent folds. Not playing table stakes in this game, you need the money to call or you fold.

This one hand is at least half of the movie.

We find out her hand later. not shown during game.
Not the greatest movie, but an interesting idea.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:42 PM

Couldn't agree more...oh and mike The Sting won like 5 oscars so if you don't like you are in the minority. I got to watch it in a college class, man i miss college!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:47 PM

I'm not saying it's the best or has the best scene, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Cincinatti Kid. Lots of good poker in that movie. The last hand in the showdown at the end was fantastic. Lancey outdrew the kid but he got paid off big time. He wasn't drawing dead by a longshot though. Makes me want to play 5-card stud.

"I'll take your marker kid." Does that mean time to raise or fold?!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:51 PM

thats a good one. my favorite gambling scene even though its not poker is when minnesota fats(jacki gleason) is getting beat at pool my the new kid fast eddy(paul newman) and they take a break, while the kid is hamming it up with everyone minnesota goes and washes up and puts on a clean shirt. he then comes back to the table fresh and looking sharp and whoops his ass.

i always think of this when im starting to tilt and try to emulate it. gleason was one of the coolest dudes ever and he rocked in that role.