Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Completely hidden quads

An amusing hand I thought Id share along with a question.

Very laggy table.

Dealt (AA)2, brought in, it was immediately raised and everyone called.

I caught a third A on fouth while the opponent who raised paired his door King (decent player... probably trip Ks).

Long story short, lots of raising with 5 people seeing 7th where I caught the fourth ace [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], winning an absolutely obscenely large pot (by far the largest of my career). It alone likely assured me a winning month.

Now, other then me showboating a little here, I actually have a question. Ive never before had hidden quads and was wondering if its as astoundingly rare as I'm thinking it is. Is this a once in a career kinda thing, or does it actually happen once every ~20-30k hands or so?

Thanks,
TRWIII
Old 07-07-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Completely hidden quads

i've played stud for a while and it's only happened once for me (hidden quads)... this was a 1-5 game at harrah's in east chicago, i got dealt q-q-q, i was already beat by sixth street (straight), but caught the case q on the river to win...

mike
Old 07-07-2004, 08:55 PM

This is a better question for the probability forum but here is your answer:
Pocket Pair: 3/51 = 5.8823529%
A Board Card Matches the given pair: 4 * (2/50 x 48/49 x 47/48 * 46/47) = 15.020408%
River Card Matches Trips: 1/46 = 2.173913%

Thus the probability of hitting fully hidden quads is .01920768% or approx. 1 in 5200 hands. Playing a hundred hands a week this should happen about once a year.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:27 PM

I saw a guy make completly hidden quad 10s. He had a full house on 6th and was in a big raising war with a guy who had two 2's showing. The Ten on the river was needed.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:46 PM

I hit quads Q's full of trip 7's once at The Orleans and got into it with A's full with rolled up aces full in 5. the A's full tapped out another players who had an AKTX7 flush. I tapped out the A's full. A lot of money went in on the turn even more on river.

The A's got pissy and left for the night. the flush just laughed and then, without ever missing a beat said, "I've been waiting all night to crack that guy, seems you've beat me to it". Then re-bought for twice the chips he lost on that hand. He really was a great guy about it. A real class act.

the pot was pretty big. it capped one of my biggest spread limit stud nights ever.

just my few cents

timmer
Old 07-07-2004, 11:45 PM

FWIW, the turn is the fourth card, whatever the game. In flop games, it's the fourth community card. In stud, it is what we commonly refer to as fourth street.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:57 PM

I've played a lot of stud in my day, and I've had hidden quads at least three times that I can think of, and have probably had them once or twice that I can't think of. This is over something like 2000 hours, and includes some stud/8 (not enough for my taste). I have twice had quads on fourth street, and I once made four Queens having started with <font color="red">A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] </font>.

Let me get this straight: you had pocket Aces, brought it in for the minimum, a King raises, everyone calls, and you don't pop it? For the love of Pete, what does it take for you to bet a hand? You just have to pop it in this spot.

One of the nicest feelings in the world is when you start with pocket Aces and spike a third Ace on fourth street. I think it's been close three years since this happened to me. No, really.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:25 PM

I once had AA3A against a player with XXQQ, the raising war started, and he showed me his quads in 4 card QQQQ ...
Well, not a so great feeling here.