Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

View Poll Results: What do you want done with your remains after you die ?
Other (ex: shot into space) 8 15.38%
Cremation 21 40.38%
Cyrogenic Preservation 9 17.31%
Burial 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Why has there been no repeat of 9/11?

[ QUOTE ]
The reason that al quaeda hasn't attacked is the next attack will have to be bigger than the last one to resonate with the Arab public. Otherwise it will seem as if they are losing ground rather than gaining it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite, methinks. It has to be more frightening and more destabilizing to the general US populus than the last one.

Use your imagination....It could be numbers of things, and I agree with you that they are biding their time to decide what it will be.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:15 AM

Before I read all of the other responses, there were what, 8 years in between the two attacks on the WTC? I don't think that anyone should be surprised if there will be at least another 8 years before the next major terrorist attack in America.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe there arent as many terraists in the USA as faux news tries to say there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please elaborate on this, fold preflop, with some evidence?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe there arent as many terraists in the USA as faux news tries to say there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, maybe there are more.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead, our leaders decided to invade Iraq, and use the attack as an excuse to advance their agenda to turn our country into a fascist police state.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you lost me. We are no where near living in a fascist police state. This phrase has repeatedly been used as a partisan attack on GWB and its becoming rather pathetic.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really think 9/11 was about impressing the Arabs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partially - Remember, al Qaeda's goal is political and social dominance IN the middle east. Part of that requires they win over the hearts and minds of the people - making the people believe their agenda is necessary in the region. If the people do not believe attacking the United States and killing thousands of people was justified, the terrorist's cause and political sway loses all its worth. The Arabs too looked on 9/11 with disgust. This is the main reason our extremely violent and aggressive response to the attacks will not work - it will not win over the moderate Arabs - this is key to our winning this war.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please elaborate on this, fold preflop, with some evidence?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try watching the news every night where the "liberal media" is talking about the threat of nuclear bombs, anthrax attacks, radical Palestinians carrying out attacks, etc. Arabs who live their life day to day and have no big problem with our foreign policy or the life we live in the United States do not make the front page. If you polled the same Americans who voted Bush back into office and asked them to assess the number of terrorists living in the United States (or abroad for that matter) I guarantee you they would grossly overestimate this number.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus christ, i agree with bluffthis.

"Plus the fact that ordinary american heroes like the ones who died in that Pennsylvania field and who stopped the shoe bomber are also stepping up and letting the terrorists know that not only do they have to get past the government but also everyday joe."

During the last three years i flew close to 200 domestic flights for work, and the conclusion that i came up with was that the most effective deterrent against hijacking that could exist is that no plane would allow themselves to be hijacked again. Just give the frikin' cockpits doors that can't be shouldered down, and give the flight attendants training and mace and your fine as long as you keep bombs off the flight.
BTW the security is a joke- i actually carried several "weapons" onto planes- once when i was physically searched with my bags twice. They did find and confiscate a butter knife though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that they give you metal forks and plastic butter knives. Like you cant do some intense damage with a fork.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try watching the news every night where the "liberal media" is talking about the threat of nuclear bombs, anthrax attacks, radical Palestinians carrying out attacks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was specifically referring to Fox News, or as fold preflop dubs them, faux news. Furthermore, I do watch Fox News (OReilly) and frequently tune in to CNN and my local news (Philly) and I can't remember the last time I heard the word anthrax or nuclear bombs (in reference to rogue terrorists) mentioned.

In fact, on Fox News channel's homepage right now, the entire screen from top to bottom is absent of any mention of nuclear bombs, anthrax, or palestinians (nor terrorism for that matter)

[ QUOTE ]
Arabs who live their life day to day and have no big problem with our foreign policy or the life we live in the United States do not make the front page.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your conclusion that "Arabs" have no problem with our foreign policy is severely misguided. Do I really have to cite internet evidence for this?

[ QUOTE ]
If you polled the same Americans who voted Bush back into office and asked them to assess the number of terrorists living in the United States (or abroad for that matter) I guarantee you they would grossly overestimate this number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what evidence do you make this conjecture?

My request of fold preflop or anyone in agreement stands: elaborate, with some basic evidence:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-24-2005, 07:05 PM

I think that FP's point was that it is impossible to know how many terrorists are in America and that it is irresponsible for anyone to conjecture as to how many there may or may not be.