Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 04:24 PM

Default JJ in the Blinds

Scenario:
This was the second hand at a brand new $4-$8 table at the local card room. I didn't know any of the other players involved in the hand. I'm in the Big Blind and am dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

PreFlop: 2 middle players limp in, the small blind folds, I raise from the big blind, both other players call. 3 to the flop.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet. MP1 folds. MP2 raises. I call.
Heads-up to the turn

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check. He bets, I call.
Heads-up to the river.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check. He bets, I call.

Questions:
1) Should I have let this go at some point? If so at the flop or turn?
2) Should I have made a stronger play at this pot? Reraise the flop? Check-raise or bet the turn or river?
3) I hate check-calling the turn and river (too tight passive) but it felt right here. In general when do you like to check call a hand down (not a typical 2+2 play)?

Results are irrelevant but I will post them on request.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Re: JJ in the Blinds

Against many players I could let this go on the flop, especially with a monotone flop. If I called, I would probably lead the turn as the last money I put into the pot unless I knew the flop raiser to be real tricky and overaggresisve, in which case I would be inclined to call it down. But more often than not I fold to the flop raise on this unconnected, monotone board. Check-raising the turn never seems to work for me, as I don't think an ace folds and you do have 2 overcards that can still beat you if it gets checked through.

I think a non ace hand has a hard time betting the turn after you call the flop raise and check the turn, so maybe that's better than leading at the turn, but I still think folding on the flop is most often the superior move.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure but I think you should fold or reraise the flop. If he called the reraise, bet out on the turn. If he is still around, he has an ace I think. If he reraises on the flop, he also has an ace and you have only 2 outs --> fold.

Guido
Old 09-22-2003, 08:22 PM

My thinking was that this is an excellent flop for someone to bluff at, paired overcards with a rag. If he is bluffing the best I can do is to call him down. A higher pair would have likely raised the flop as would a high Ace. Thus the hands I expected were a low ace or a stone cold bluff. As such if I reraise it is likely to win the pot right there and I'll miss out on the turn and river bluff attempts. A secondary thought (not mentioned above) was that this could very well be a bad beat jackpot draw (though the turn card likely killed that). All ended well though because he turned over 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for nut low strait draw. He berated my play for not laying the Jacks down by asking what could have hit the board to make me fold them. Grinning I told him it's bad policy to fold winners. In reflection I keep fluctuating about whether or not I played this well and really should have folded the turn. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and trust a subconscious read. I read somewhere, and someone here probably knows the source, "When you are very close between calling and folding, always call. It's just more fun!"
Old 09-22-2003, 08:37 PM

I doubt he had an Ace. He would have waited until the turn to raise heads up with no draws. You could have reraised him on the flop, but he would have dropped and you couldnt induce him to bluff on later streets.

Instead of checkraising the turn, you opted for him to bet your hand for you. He won't try to blow you off a hand again.

I think in that spot without knowing your opponent you have to see an Ace or a King.

~mg~