Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 09-15-2003, 03:52 PM

Default Calcluting odds

I'm relatively young in terms of poker experience and had a question about calculating odds. Because so many calculations at the table are done in your head, is there an easier way to do the mental machinations than using your fingers and toes?

For Hold 'em, I have resorted to always using the number 48 for unseen cards (regardless of whether it is on the flop, turn, or river). 48 tends to be easier to work with than 47 in that it is divisible by so many numbers. Will using 48 affect my calculations in any significant way? Does anyone else have any good tips?

Thanks in advance!

Elwood
Old 09-15-2003, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Calcluting odds

Might try the rule of "42". On the Turn, mult your "outs" by 4, and your answer will be (about) the right percentage for making your draw. On the River, mult. by 2 and your answer will be (about) right also. Plus or minus a half to one percent won't be too bad.
The important thing to check for, is the pot big enough to call (Pot Odds).
If you ever run into an old guy with a red Baseball cap on, just say Hi! & thanks.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:19 PM

The 48 approximation is closer than the 4,2 rule (which is efectively the 50 approximation, and is often off by several percent). I think this is usually close enough.

Craig
Old 09-15-2003, 07:41 PM

The "42" rule gives you the percentage of hitting a needed out. What one really need Anyone know an easy rule for getting the needed out odds compated to the pot odds? (1-p)/p:1.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:55 PM

Either one is close enough. Decisions that turn on that fine a difference are rare. As far as simplifying an odds estimation instead of probability, there is no easy way, because it isnt a linear relationship...as you keep adding more outs the odds drop less and less. It is easier to estimate the probability and do the second step (1-p)/p, which isnt that hard. Round the probability to the nearest 5% and you arent going to be that far off either.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:46 AM

If you are calculating odds on a round by round basis (rather than effective odds with 2 cards to come) try Abdul's old tip:

Call if your clean outs times (1 plus pot odds) is greater than the number of unseen cards.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:29 PM

I think this is the easiest way for people to do them on the fly. Just memorizing the common odds is probably not a bad idea either.