Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2003, 03:48 AM

Default How to avoid gambling \"won\" money

I recently went on a semi-streak. Today I decided to play some 10/20 Omaha8 (I haven't played Omaha in months, and it's not a game I'm terribly good at, though I know how to play).

What made it worse was I was playing 2 Omaha 8 10/20 tables and a 5/10 shorthanded Hold'Em game at the same time.

Lost about $200-$300 pretty fast. Now, I decided to play this game because I had recently been doing well, so money had less value to me, cause it seemed to come so easily. Does anyone else experience this, or is it just me?

- Tony
Old 07-26-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Re: How to avoid gambling \"won\" money

Done this before.. I primarily play NL online, say I have an extremely good week, I might buy-in at a 20-40 Limit game and see what happens, sometimes I lose the whole buy-in, sometimes I win a couple grand. Then I go back to what I prefer, No-Limit.

Use money that you can afford to lose though.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:40 PM

Default Re: How to avoid gambling \"won\" money

I see this phenomenon all the time in a slightly different form. Often when players start to win a few good pots and gets up, they have a tendency to loosen up and play more hands than they otherwise would and gamble away their winnings.

As for playing games you wouldn't normally, I do this occasionally too. I'm primarily a limit hold'em player. To prevent large losses from playing other games I only lay other games at lower limits until I've won enough at that game to move up in limits. I set this at 200-300 Small Bets. This keeps me from taking big hits to my bankroll while learning a new game.