Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Turning the Screw

Interesting Situation on UB $.50/$1 tables

Two nights ago our hero (me, its good to be the author [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) was playing online. In a brief moment of distraction I misplaced call from EP with 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. Our villain was in the big blind and got a free play with K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. The flop came 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. After a blank turn I rivered the 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. After the showdown our villain commented that he didn't think I played that crap so I told him sorry I misclicked preflop and meant to fold. He made some understandably skeptical comment.

Fast-forward to last night. We are again at the same table again and I'm running good while playing tight aggressive. I'm in the CO and he's in MP. Folded to our villain who limps, then folded to me. I raise with K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. Fold to the BB who calls as does our villain. The flop comes A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. Love flopping the broadway strait and decide to ignore the flush draw and slowplay. BB bets and we both call. The turn, an intriguing J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. Nothing that you can't make with that board. BB bets, the villain raises, and I reraise (not a play I'd usually make here but I want to toy with this guy). The BB folds and our villain shows 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] as he folds. He comments "Aces Full?"

What is the best response?

Sam
Old 07-22-2003, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Turning the Screw

No response at all.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:40 PM

There is a woman who I play stud with that calls almost every winning hand - yeh right. I agree with whatever she calls when I win. It makes her happy and a little scared and strikes fear in the rest of the table.

Nothing like hearing, "You had trips didn't you? [yep] Yes, I knew you had trips", when I really just had a small pair but no one wanted to play because she has scared them so badly....
Old 07-22-2003, 02:58 PM

I'd usually rather not "turn the screw."

Last Saturday I'm playing 5/10 kill=100 at Foxwoods. It's a kill pot and I get A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] in MP.

I open-raise, MP (rockish woman) calls 2 cold, BB(killer) calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, MP calls, BB folds.

Turn: 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, MP folds. As she folds she says "take it, take it, I never get a pair, I just have AJ"

I shrug and pass my cards to the dealer without showing and take the pot. No sense embarassing her.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:13 PM

I agree, the best response is a surprised look and a "good read".

some of my best "slowplays" have come when i misclicked "Check" in moving from one game window to another.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:23 PM

Wow, I'm just amazed to see a .5/1 player lay down a flush. I would have expected at least someone to show down their 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 9x.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:01 PM

If I didn't know our villain I would have been too. I would have raised the flop and folded the turn but I just could resist the chance to really put him to the test. Fish in a barrel; Emmmm fish.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:32 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

why do you need a response? who cares what they think...

btw...i played on your table a couple times. bet your sets, willya...yer missing chips

b
Old 07-22-2003, 07:21 PM

That is the question... why respond? The only reason to respond would be if it offers a higher future EV than not responding at all. Given this guy's state of mind I believe that there must be some response that could provoke him to play worse in my pots. Is this not part of understanding the psycological aspects of the game.

Also, if we were at a cardroom not responding at all would be rude. The social aspects of enjoying oneself when playing must have some value. While some players would rather be silent as a rock I'd rather enjoy the company while playing.

Sam

P.S. At the micro-limits with a tight table image you wouldn't slow play flopped trips in order to get more turn money in? This is partially an issue of position. Anyways thanks for the tip, I'll reexamine how I play these hands.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:39 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

it can bug them more, many times, if you ingore them and dont give in to the exchange.

sometimes they think that beating them is an accomplishment. giving them no verbal action you treat them like everyone else. which they hate.

just a thought...

it's also not rude to not respond to a guy berating your play. there's a difference between conversing/socializing and getting into a pissing match at the table over who plays better.

b

ps...

"At the micro-limits with a tight table image you wouldn't slow play flopped trips in order to get more turn money in? "

the table wasnt that tight. there were 4 opponents in and you never made a bet with it. a str8 ended up sweeping the pot. (you had a set of 8s)

id have jammed the hell out of that pot...