5 5 3.38%
4 4 2.70%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 7 4.73%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Experiences with absinthe?

So, a month ago, we had this post, which asked a question about absinthe. It never really got answered properly. A couple posters chimed in, but the answer I was lookin for wasn't in the post.

These fine Czech folks sell absinthe over the Intarweb, and I'm considering buying some, just because. That being said, I've smoked a lot of weed, done numerous psychadelic drugs, and I've had my 6 beers for breakfast phase. Is this stuff gonna be anything new? Anything remotely interesting? Or am I in for a letdown?

The more I think about it, the more I feel I should just get my lean on for xmas. Purple eggnog fo sho.

Thoughts?

-- yasher
Old 12-01-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Experiences with absinthe?

"What you know bout purple egg nog?"

Absolutely nothing. Can you inform me?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:06 AM

I was in Prague and the bartender gave me some Absinthe - holly mother of shat that is some strong stuff. I swear I was sorta hallucinating though I was already pretty buzzed from like 8 beers. It is still illegal in the US. Definitely give it a try. Mine was not served the right way - shown on the Bourdain travel show when he was in France. (slowly dripped over a sugar cube into a shot glass.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:15 AM

Jihad,

Well, "that purple drink," also known as "lean" and "barre," and often referred to as of late by Mike Jones, Paul Wall, and the rest of the Swisha House (and other Houston hip hop crews, to be sure) is what we're discussing here. They're talking about codeine based cough syrups, only available with a prescription. It can be mixed with soda, booze, or consumed straight up. I'm not sure what the most popular method of consumption is these days. The one time I actually did it, I got tremendously messed up. It was a night to remember.

So, yeah. Now you know bout that purple stuff. I'd never actually put it in egg nog... but it just seemed fitting with the christmas theme.

Despite what others say, your avatar rules.

siggy,

Its only illegal to sell in the USA - possession is legal. I was planning on getting a bottle shipped here, and attempting to enjoy it with a couple friends. The internet is turning up some interesting sources, but I thought I'd seek the OOTiots opinions. Thanks for your input. Sounds like you had a fun time.

Gnite,
yasher
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 AM

i got my boy a bottle for his birthday. It gets you real oddly good drunk (but with stimulant qualities) really really quick. I couldn't drink enough to hallucinate but it does get you [censored] up. The next night we had a praty and passed around shots, everyone had a good time. I find it not worth the money but a good drink. do it once.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 AM

What is the stuff they are drinking?

Here is the full video
Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 AM

A lot of absinthe is bogus. Much of the stuff marketed as "really real, we swear" has thujone but at very low levels, ~10mg/L or even down to 2mg/L. That is basically alcohol+herbs. It looks like the site you linked is offering stuff of that caliber. If you look around, you should be able to find 35mg/L, which is almost--but not quite--like the old days. Try here to start (though I've never used this site and can't vouch for it).

Good absinthe should be obtainable as laws have recently been relaxed. Keep looking.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 AM

That is ipecac, a vomit inducer. It is unrelated to absinthe.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:34 AM

if you drink with me, the king of spirits, i promise to take you places.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:17 AM

Yasher,

I am also interested in this, so if you do get some, maybe you could do a trip report for where you got it and what it does.