Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-20-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Reasons for not moving up...

Up until recently I was under the impression that everyone's goal was to move up limits as they acquired the skills and bankroll. But a few posts opened my eyes and I realized that there are a fair amount of people happy with where they are. I understand the pro's that make their money and don't want to jeopardize their earnings by losing at a higher limit. My question is geared to the people that do this on the side. What is it that makes good players decide they don't want to move up? I always thought of poker as gambling, and I think gamblers take some risks. I just want to understand the reasoning.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Reasons for not moving up...

I guess some people enjoy being able to beat their limit regularly without feeling like they are at a disadvantage. This is definately something i need to work on, not getting too concerned with moving up limits and just making steady money.

If you can make good money at something which is not that challenging it may be just more comfortable for them that way.

ric.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:22 PM

Taking risks is fine, and yes - most poker players (see: gamblers) do enjoy taking risks. Be assured I am no exception.

Still, there is a difference between tempting fate and p-ssing in fate's face.

I have made three major moves since I learned the game.

1. Playing (and winning) at live micro limits for recreation (25/50, 50/1, 1/2) to playing (and winning)live "real games - also for recreation (2/4, 3/6 and 1-5 stud).

2. From these to (P and W) at "middle" limits live (up to 15-30, or 20-40) while simultaneously (P and W) small online (this was just as online poker was beginning, '99 - '00).

3. From these to (P and W) at the highest middle limit games that were commonly spread live (30-60 in the east, 40-80 elsewhere) while simultaneously playing 10-20, 15-30 online.

I have no ambition nor any "need" to play higher than this. I have no kids to support, my fiance makes a very good living, and I have little or no ego to feed.

Those are my reasons; I too am interested in hearing what others have to say.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:45 PM

the swings!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:56 PM

Some people have mouths to feed and bills to pay.
Why risk something that important for self gain?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:33 PM

Some people find a level they are comfortable at and stay there. It is also possible that they have tried moving up and realized that they couldn't beat the higher level so they went back down and stayed there.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM

I think much of the reason is that your poker skill is a combination of talent and aquired knowledge, and at some point you get to a limit where your relative lack of talent (compared to others at that level) makes the process of aquiring knowledge to compensate for this too big of a hazzle. We are not all made to play in the big game.

I personally push and push to try to get a winner at higher and higher limits, but it is mostly to keep my job challenging/motivating (online pro) and to aquire a "knowledge buffer" since I believe the games will get drier.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:21 PM

I think a lot of it is mental laziness by people who just aren't that ambitious. They feel that if they can win consistently at a certain level by half paying attention, there's no need to deal with the stress of moving up and having to think a lot more and risk making mistakes. It's like if someone had a relatively easy job with a decent salary and was offered a promotion where they would have to work a lot harder at their new position.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:30 AM

Well personally I have played a ton of online poker. The best reason that seems to be missing is that online, the low limits are so profitable it may simply not be worth the risk to move up. Assuming the competition level increases as you move up in limits at the particular site you play that is. This is not the case at Party [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 12:42 AM

For me, the exciting thing about playing poker IS moving up. That is what I play the game for. (And money obviously)